Any suggestions?

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Paul Joppen

Any suggestions?

Post by Paul Joppen »

Hello,

Last week I bought a nice and complete 1951 102 series AD. Now I want to spend the winter months building a wooden boat from one of the plans that can be bought from Internet. The boat should be approx. 12 feet long and weigh no more than 50 kgs/ 110 lb. so that it can be lifted into and out of the water by two persons. Does anyone has suggestions? I would prefer a nice elegant and classy shape like a skiff.

All the best,

Paul.
The Tinker

Re: Any suggestions?

Post by The Tinker »

Check this one out goes real good with a Seagull also rows well and is easy to build
http://rosslillistonewoodenboat.blogspo ... -boat.html
denchen

Post by denchen »

Over the summer I built a 16ft canoe for the grandkids. Its extra wide about 4ft 2ins and I built it of 18mm x 3-4mm strip pine covered both sides with 300gms woven glass. The bottom line is it is very light for its size and is very strong. This next summer I have been toying with building another boat to replace my small dingy with a Stuart Turner 1.5hp that has seen better days. If I do I will probably go for the 18mm x 3-4 strip and not bother with any timbers (ribs) but some gentle curves in her as many as I can.
Paul Joppen

Post by Paul Joppen »

Hello

@ The Tinker: thank you very much for your suggestion. I didn't come across the plans of Ross Lillistone before. Indeed a very beautiful boat that would fill the bill. The photographs show Steve Dorrington with a 40 plus with an extended tiller. Wouldn't the extra 6 kg/10 lbs of a 102 not be a problem?

@ denchen: at first I would love one of the canoe designs with a square stern but I am a bit bothered that they haven't enough displacement nor a wide enough stern to manhandle the 18 kg/ 40 lbs of the 102.

I found a design on http://www.tangoskiff.com. The extended stern should solve the problem for a smallish lightweight boat with a fairly heavy engine. The plans are very well executed.

All the best, Paul.
phil

Post by phil »

www.svensons.com/boat/
Lots of free older boat plans here.
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

Flint goes well with Silver Century on the back and two biggish people plus food and 15 litres extra fuel
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I agree with Tinker 100%, Flint is an elegant, proven, low cost, simple to build Seagull type hull, that should be easy to get to or better, your target weight, 12 feet / 50 kilos.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
denchen

Post by denchen »

Have you thought of building a boat with a raised hole to drop an engine in, then a rudder at the stern to steer. Just throwing ideas in. Use your seagull as a power unit only, as long as you don`t hit bottom when coming back to the beach.
Paul Joppen

Post by Paul Joppen »

Hello Denchen,

Like in a motor launch.... What a great idea. Would look classy too. The Flint is really a nice design. It has a nice wide stern to carry the engine. Does anyone know what its displacement is?

I bought the plans of a 15' Dinghy from Morten Solesen at http://www.boatplans.dk. It has quite a small stern but the designer offered to modify the plans. He also sells fully CNC-ed kits at a competitive price. I am considering one of those.

All the best, Paul.