Round the Island Seagull Race - Bermuda 2012

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Buzzook

Round the Island Seagull Race - Bermuda 2012

Post by Buzzook »

Hey, all!

The organisers sent out a PDF advert for the 2012 race which can't be uploaded here....so if you'd like a copy to print and stick up in your local pub, shed, chandlery whatever.... PM me or Charlesuk for a copy.
Attachments
Rubis 2012 Seagull Race.jpg
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site
Rex NZ

Re: Round the Island Seagull Race - Bermuda 2012

Post by Rex NZ »

All

Here's a direct link to the Bermuda PDF

http://seagulloutboard.com/wp-content/u ... l-Race.pdf

Rex NZ
Rex NZ

Post by Rex NZ »

(A word from the organiser)

Hi everyone
For those of you who have not started getting ready – start panicking – especially if you have not checked your boat/engine – or have not finished building the boat that you have been talking about doing for the last 3 months…. J
ONE WEEK to go to sign up!!!!!!!!!!!
10 days to the race…. Seagull weather gods permitting….

Crash boats:
We have the following signed up –
Stephen Rossiter 504-0997 Dev Bay/Spittal Pond
Kim & Chester All way around
Charlie Crisson Final Sweep
Neil Stempel Gurnet Rock area
Steven Robert’s son North Shore
Martin & Nia Dixon - Castle Roads and final N Shore sweep
Dek Froud 505-7422 – North Shore area
Bruce Lorhan 534-7898 – slow all way around
A couple of unofficial/uncertain ones too –
But – if there are any more – please let me know
I NEED SOME CELL PHONE NUMBERS FOR THOSE THAT ARE NOT SHOWING ON THE LIST

Items to note:
1) Trophies – please return them to Brian Anfossi/Charlie Brown/Beanie at Mills Creek Boat yard – CLEAN – and engraved as you wish
2) Remember – your boats need to be legal – registered at Marine& Ports and have all the required safety equipment
3) I also need to be able to recognize you – so please ensure your boat has a name and large number that I can read – don’t trust that I will see the person driving…..!!
4) Remember if you breakdown – and go home etc – please call me to say you did not finish. We had 3 boats last year – which – either they are still missing J– or were safely tucked up in bed that eve – without us knowing. We know the names of the missing boats – so – going forward, if you do not call in – and do not finish – the following year – you will not be allowed to race…. Sorry – but safety comes first…
5) Don’t forget to waterproof your phones etc for the race…. You may need them to call me!!
6) Do not litter out on the water…. We are supporting green causes – and the last thing we need are the crashboats picking up floating bottles from the race participants being inconsiderate. Think green – take cans – and recycle back on land….
7) For those that have said they are contributing gift certificates/prizes – please bring them along to the sign up.
8) Bumper stickers – I will be bringing some along with me to the sign up – if you want to buy some… 2 for $10 or 1 for $7…

Day of the Race:
1) Please collect your Heineken 6-pack (cans of course) from me – prior to the start of your class leave time. Any leftovers will be given as prizes..
2) Don’t forget to check in with me – to say that you are here – what time you leave – collect Heineken….. etc etc..
3) If you know that you are going to need to leave earlier than your scheduled start time to finish at a decent hour (aim for 4 – 5pm) – please again – let me know when you are expecting to leave. Please don’t assume that I see you leaving – cos I don’t!!!
4) Photos – please take lots of photos of the day – and share them with Mark of Australia – he is the one who has a newsletter and website – and he would love to share them with other round the world seagullians….. (buz_zook@hotmail.com)
5) FISH – we have 3 fishing prizes – so don’t forget to come and show me your catch after you finish. Frozen ones not accepted!!!
6) New trophies – we have a line honours trophy for all engine categories – we have “the Smeagol ugliest engine” trophy donated by Corry – who is also the judge… J ….so try not to win that one….

See you there….
I am including the entry form – so that people can pre-complete the forms… and bring them along - $65 pp on the sign up day - $90 pp on race day…. Minimum 2 per boat…

So… now it is up to the weather…..
See you at the Robin Hood on the 13th……

Again – major thanks to our sponsors – Heineken/Burrows Lightbourn and Rubis Energy
And to all the people who give us freebies and prizes to help make the race a success – Total Group, Irie FM, PW’s, Marine Locker, Bolero, Bonefish Grill, Serpentine Liquors, Protone, Primes, Supermart, Makin Waves and others …….

Martine Purssell

(Posted by RexNZ)
Buzzook

Post by Buzzook »

Email update from RISR organisers - RECORD NUMBERS for 2012 - 64 boats..!!!!

Hi everyone

Well – I am absolutely amazed – a new record set - BEFORE the race…..

We have 64 boats signed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a record – certainly since I have been involved…. I don’t know where you found them all – but – pretty amazing.

The weather is sticking at ENE 10-15 knots – weather – mixed – cloudy – with rain and showers – but – it is better than the Friday and Sunday forecasts – and all the crashboats have said that they are very willing to go out and support everyone – so – it is a GO……….

I attach the listing that I put together – so if you see anything incorrect on your data – please let me know asap – because – once I leave the office on Friday – that is what is going on the list… J

Spanish Point Boat Club is opening early – 7 ish – so if you need a Bloody Mary to start the day – they will be there to serve it – they are also selling ice – so if you need some – they have some…

Trophies – we were missing a few - namely the Chummy Trophy (dinghy boat); Chummy Cup (best dressed) Burners Cup; and I think the Chrome pulley (I was looking at this late last night – so excuse me if I am wrong on that!!)

1) Please collect your Heineken 6-pack (cans of course) from me – prior to the start of your class leave time. Any leftovers will be given as prizes..

2) Don’t forget to check in with me – to say that you are here – what time you leave – collect Heineken….. etc etc..

3) If you know that you are going to need to leave earlier than your scheduled start time to finish at a decent hour (aim for 4 – 5pm) – please again – let me know when you are expecting to leave. Please don’t assume that I see you leaving – cos I don’t!!!

4) Photos – please take lots of photos of the day – and share them with Mark of Australia – he is the one who has a newsletter and website – and he would love to share them with other round the world seagullians….. (buz_zook@hotmail.com)

5) FISH – we have 3 fishing prizes – so don’t forget to come and show me your catch after you finish. Frozen ones not accepted!!!

6) New trophies – we have a line honours trophy for all engine categories – we have “the Smeagol ugliest engine” trophy donated by Corry – who is also the judge… J ….so try not to win that one….

7) Your boats need to be legal – registered at Marine& Ports and have all the required safety equipment – including ropes/oars

8) Remember if you breakdown – and go home etc – please call me to say you did not finish. We had 3 boats last year – which – either they are still missing J– or were safely tucked up in bed that eve – without us knowing. We know the names of the missing boats – so – going forward, if you do not call in – and do not finish – the following year – you will not be allowed to race…. Sorry – but safety comes first…

9) Don’t forget to waterproof your phones etc for the race…. You may need them to call me!!

10) Do not litter out on the water…. We are supporting green causes – and the last thing we need are the crashboats picking up floating bottles from the race participants being inconsiderate. Think green – take cans – and recycle back on land….

Some people have asked about buying old shirts – $20 each

I have the following:

XL – 2006 year – 4. (night trip)

Large – 2010 year – 4 (pirates)

2007 year – 1 (airplane)

2006 year – 11 (night)

Med - 2010 year – 2

2007 year – 4

2006 year – 2

2005 year – 3 (whale)

Let me know if I need to bring these along on Saturday

Again – major thanks to our sponsors – Heineken/Burrows Lightbourn and Rubis Energy

And to all the people who give us freebies and prizes to help make the race a success – Total Group, Irie FM, PW’s, Marine Locker, Bolero, Bonefish Grill, Serpentine Liquors, Protone, Primes, Supermart, Makin Waves and others …….

Martine
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Well – much to my disappointment not to clear my sitting room of all the boxes of seagull trophies/shirts etc!!!!! – due to the strong winds forecast for Saturday –– we are having to postpone the race to next Saturday – rather than do an alternate course – as the people polled – would prefer to have another chance to go round the island.

So – for those of you who were fine tuning stuff to race tomorrow – you have a week extra!!!

If anyone has any questions – please let me know

Thanks

Martine on behalf of the committee
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Rex NZ

Post by Rex NZ »

(Latest word from the organiser)

Well the rain date has produced decent weather for racing!! AND – allowed a few more boats to register!!! 67…..!!!!!!!!!
So – we have 67 boats registered – up from our last record of 59. I hope to be able to report on Monday that everyone finished – but – we always have a few “Did not Start” or “Did not Finish” so….. we will see!!!
Here is a list of all the contestants and their classes – we weed through a few misclassifications from sign up – so if you see anything wrong – let me know before I leave work today…

We have 7 boats contending for the Harrison-Williams All girls trophy.
Danielle Lightbourn and Pansy Olander are our youngest crew – 18 and 17….!! Sorry James Anfossi and Sarah – you won it last year with the same ages – but you are now one year older!!!
JJ Soares and the longsuffering Bob are going to try and beat their own record of going around – 2 hours 7 mins….. to beat

Don’t forget the prize for the best dressed boat!!! Douglas Anfossi memorial cup……………

I have repeated myself stupid on safety equipment etc – so please remember all your stuff…
DON’T FORGET YOUR BAGGIE WITH THE CRASH BOAT NUMBERS AND YOUR BBQ TICKETS!!!!!

See you tomorrow – from 7.30am!!!

Martine Purssell

(RexNZ)
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Looks like JJ has broken the 2 hour barrier this year big time!

Congratulations JJ
Taspiper

Post by Taspiper »

How cool is this race!
I wish Tasmania was smaller!
Cheers Rolf.

www.acmeengineering.com.au
www.rolfhey.com
doppler491

Post by doppler491 »

JJ in the black hull. Average 23 mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8qkd34D ... ata_player
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Best video so far!

"Once again an amazing day was had by all. Thanks for all your effort!!!

I put a little video of the race together.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPzrtYuz ... e=youtu.be

Nigel"
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

23 mph is fast.

An average speed of 23 mph is very fast.

Super tuned Seagull Sport (Selva), must be producing 8hp for that sort of speed, glad it lasted the 2hours well done.

H-A
Michael

Post by Michael »

And remember that avg speed of 23mph is with two persons in the boat
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Thad used Dropbox to share some files with you!

Message from Thad: "Photos from 2012 seagull race by Thad Murdoch"

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nmpkxjfn6ow7l54/9iklrDYkSO

Tonya MacPhee shared "Seagull Racing" with you"

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1ajo4wxz9k57fop/2s1K5eBl3Z
Rex NZ

Post by Rex NZ »

Charles

Your photo link isn't working

Maybe post the entire link script

Rex
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Think I got it right on the second try, thanks Rex!