how about.....

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

headdownarseup

how about.....

Post by headdownarseup »

Having read through some previous posts on an "event" where we can mess around in boats, that is both safe (within limits of everyone willing to attend) and relatively easy to get to, how about making CHOLSEY a more regular event.
HAYLING ISLAND would also make a superb venue, which has been done once or twice before. I'd be willing to have a crack at it although my experience of open water boating is somewhat lacking so i'll have to be guided by others on that one.

How about a canal/river without too many locks. I could enquire about the river AVON in BRISTOL.Drop the boats in at the docks and chug down to BATH probably around 15/20 miles and i think only 2 locks in between (similar to CHOLSEY)

What do you reckon?

jon
Horsley-Anarak

Re: how about.....

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

headdownarseup wrote: how about making CHOLSEY a more regular event.
I have been pushing this venue for a few years, ever since Timberman discovered it years ago. The main problem is that not that many can be bothered to attend.
headdownarseup wrote: HAYLING ISLAND would also make a superb venue,
Hayling Island "is"a very good venue, combined with Itchenor Boat Club makes it ideal, myself and Charles L checked it out in various conditions to check its suitability.
We have had a couple of great gatherings there, and having spoken to Blue recently, there is a good chance that we will be repeating it next year.

If you want to go round Hayling Jon you will need a different boat, your boat would be under powered to venture out into the open sea. :)

Perhaps we can even persuade the Dutch to cross the pond again. :)

H-A
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

ALAN
After this years CHOLSEY RUN i can see why you like so much.
I enjoyed it, so did the boys and wifey, and to top it all, its fairly easy to get to.

You are right of course, i really do need a smaller/better boat?

Where i usually use my boat is on a 600 acre reservoir, so plenty of room and no speed limit, mostly for fishing and peace and quiet! (ideal for a seagull motor)

CHOLSEY next year then? :D

jon
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Perhaps we should look into this a bit more!

Maybe a different venue somewhere on the south coast up a river?

Logistical locations will vary for a lot of us i'm sure, but if we can at least try to sort out more than one location for a gathering, more members on the forum can join in the fun!

Is there anything suitable in the midlands? Has anybody looked into this?

As mentioned before, where i normally use my boat there are plenty of facilities on site,toilets/camping/nature reserve/restaurant/cafe etc. its reasonably priced with plenty of parking but it can get a bit busy at times with the sailing club,water skiers and fishermen but at over 600 acres of water it is a good site. I like it.
Have a look at LHANGORSE reservoir outside ABBERGAVENNY south wales. It wont suit everyone based in LONDON and the south east of the country, but those members in the midlands might have a better chance of getting there.
CHEDDAR reservoir is another location in the south west.

How about some of the fishing locations in the midlands. I know there are some pretty sizeable waters up there! Would they be willing to have half a dozen noisey/smokey seagulls buzzing around?

Ive had a quick look at some of the canals local to me, but launching can be a problem, not to mention the locks! (Gloucester/Sharpness canal)
River AVON is another possible venue, from Bristol Docks to BATH, Approx. 15/20 miles of river and a couple of locks in between, nice long reaches of the river that are fairly quiet with very little traffic (similar to CHOLSEY)

What do we reckon. Is this worth persuing any further? :D

JON
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I've just had a quick look on the map.
There are 6 locks to navigate through from the top of Bristol docks to Bath.

This looks as though it could take quite a long time to do all of this route in a day,bearing in mind we have to go back the way we've come!
There are some very long stretches of the river in between the locks however. Still looks to be around 15 miles or so! Not quite a marathon but probably long enough for a seagull to stretch its wings! (and its fresh water as well)

I'll wait until members have had a chance to read this and comment back before going any further with it.

jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

How much are the fees & what are the waterways legal requirments?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Interesting.

Why all about "Money" I ask..........

Legal is just "Compliance"

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Pick a non tidal waterway in the UK Bruce, & check out what is needed to use it.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

I'll be in the UK from 16th June to around the middle of July anything organised I would love to join in. qualifications: Low maintenance and significant open water experience!

AJ
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

CHOLSEY it is then?

By the looks, A-J seems to be a dead cert.
I'm up for it again. (2014 was a laugh,boys and wifey enjoyed it)
I will be better prepared this time. (shhh..... working on something TOP SECRET) and before you ask, NO I'M NOT GOING RACING (H-A, CHARLES L and others) :roll:
I'm sure JEREMY would come along again

If we are going to do this again in 2015,it might be worth starting the preparations soon.
Organising extra boats and motors for our visitors etc.

What do we think?

jon
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

I'm in..... if its over the time I am in the UK. I may just have an engine and boat as well.

AJ
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

If you make it Adrian I will buy you a couple of beers, can bring extra boats and engines.
H-A

Will look at diary when I get back from the "Biggest Seagull race in the world"☺
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Any more takers?

If anyone is stuck for a ride, i shall be taking my big boat as before. Probably room for 2 more passengers. (i think 6 is about the limit but it wont be quick with all that weight)

There might be a chance for me and JEREMY to see how feasible the river AVON might be. We've discussed the possibility of doing a recce at some point in the new year.
Keep you posted.

If nothing else, we'll have CHOLSEY to fall back on.

jon
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

An offer of beer is not likely to be turned down by an Aussi !!! with or without a boat>> CU all in the NY

AJ