1914 Caille outboard

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

phil

1914 Caille outboard

Post by phil »

Here are a few views of my oldest motor so far a 1914 Caille with folding rudder.
It was in very good condition for its age when found but some missing some key parts. The outside bottom of the cylinder water jacket was broken and in several pieces with one piece missing.

It took about a year to come up with all the parts that were needed. I am told it is one of 12 known examples of the 1914 model and the latest known serial # of 2905 for that year.

I hope to be able to run it on a boat this summer, it has been run a couple of times on the stand for less than a minute each time. It will run just as happily in reverse [flywheel going CCW] as in forward.
Hugz

Re: 1914 Caille outboard

Post by Hugz »

Drool :D
shistlepot

Post by shistlepot »

Great restoration
Ed
Todd

Post by Todd »

Really nicely done, Phil. I suspect that one gets a place in the office.

Say, how did you manage the pictures!?
phil

Post by phil »

It seems I had a wrong setting in my profile that did not allow me to post photos, Brendan fixed it for me. Yes those shots were in my office. My wife does not seem to mind one or two outboards in the office as long as they don't smell of petrol/gas.

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. Got that motor as well as several newer ones from a marine engine collector in June '09, then in Aug. got a 1914 Waterman elsewhere in very rough shape [cracked flywheel casting, stuck piston, cylinder corroded through,etc,etc] it a very good drivetube and bottom end though and therefore still had a lot of value. I decided it would be too expensive to fix and traded it for the parts I needed for the Caille. Part of my problem being I didn't know exactly where to go to get the exact authentic parts needed, while the person I traded for parts with had what was needed in 2-3 months. The parts needed where cylinder, propeller, aluminum manifold, a special wing nut, and the parts to fabricate the brass muffler can. Ended up fixing the original cylinder with JB weld, we will see if that holds when the motor gets used. Hope to run it on the boat this summer.
It appears to me that this may actually be a Caille badge motor sold through the Mullins boat company as a Glideaway.
Here's a photo of the lower end in pieces
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Phil - you may know of them already, but the Antique Outboards Association in th U.S. should be helpful for spare parts for motors of a smiliar vintage to yours, as might Doug Penn who seems to float between Connecticut and Florida - if you 'Google' his name his website will come up - quite entertaining in its own right. Rick
phil

Post by phil »

Rick, thanks for the suggestions. I've been an AOMCI member for 2 years now and also am a frequent contributor to their forum. I can certainly second your suggestion on dealing with Doug Penn, he is based in New England but travels to almost all the meets. He has a very good reputation as an honest and reasonable dealer in old outboards and parts. He has been very good to me in my search for parts for 20s- 40s and 50s motors. He often ships overseas as well.
The really old outboards 1914 and earlier are considerably more difficult to get parts for but there are some individuals that have been in the club long enough to know where the right parts are or at least where to look for them. Some of the club members also take plaster or fibreglass moulds off of all the old and rare parts that pass through their hands.
There are some very interesting sites linked through the http://www.AOMCI.org homepage,click on links.

Here is a site that is very nicely done by a well known AOMCI member.

A good explanation under tech tips of using the common and relatively inexpensive OMC universal coil to rescue old motors where the coil is virtually unobtainable or unreasonably priced compared to the value of the motor being repaired. That would be the BRP/OMC 0584477 coil. About $20 in the U.S. and $25 here in Canada. Used almost all OMC motors from 1952-1973.

http://www.oddjobmotors.com/