Shear pins

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Heron Addict

Shear pins

Post by Heron Addict »

I am looking for a few spare shear pins for an old mariner 2hp. Its a 1984 one with a plastic prop.

The shear pin it came with is 22mm long and 3.2mm diamter and seems to be made from stainless steel. I know I can buy them for about £3 each, but is there any reason I cant just buy some standard stainless bar at the right diameter and chop it into the correct lengths. I have heard people use bronze brazing rods, would this be too soft compared to the stainless one on my motor? Any recommendations very welcome.

Thanks
Keith.P

Re: Shear pins

Post by Keith.P »

For £3 each, I would go for the proper thing.
With a made up one, you could damage your prop or it could break when you least expected it to.
A cheap home made pin or a new prop?
I have a Mariner 2hp, never used it.
Heron Addict

Post by Heron Addict »

You might be right Keith, I couldnt help thinking that the shear pins were unlikely to be high tech though. Plus the best source seems to be ebay and there is very little guarantee that any advertised on there are actually the original spec anyway, considering the motor is actually 30 years old (which is older than my seagul!). The sellers could easily have done just as I suggested and cut up some 3.2 mm bar.

The mariner/yamahas are nice little motors, not as robust as a seagull but weighing in at less than 10kg, very neat. I only paid £70 for mine.. Let me know if you ever want to sell yours Keith :)
david

Post by david »

I would have thought the best thing would be to acquire a genuine Mariner one and see what they make it from. If in doubt go softer. The point is, it should break before the prop or the gearbox .Less shear resistant than the prop. Start too soft.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I only paid £70 for mine
I saved £50 then. :lol:
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

They are a very popular engine, and can sell for £250+.

I like them and have 2, one needs a new crank if anyone has a spare.

I would make a brass shear pin, and also make a stainless one to keep in my pocket, to use if the brass one broke,

The early seagulls had brass shear pins, so do not see a problem, I am almost certain the Mariner/Yamaha 2 has a stainless one as standard.

H-A