Transom saver

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

skyetoyman

Transom saver

Post by skyetoyman »

I will understand if no one replys to this but sadly have just got a 6hp 4 stroke suzuki (needed extra power for strong current off Neist Point) but I have the same problem with my long shaft silver century.
Trailing it on the back of the boat may have it catching the ground. Anyone got a simple design for a transom saver.
DSCF0515.1.jpg
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
Horsley-Anarak

Re: Transom saver

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

skyetoyman wrote: Anyone got a simple design for a transom saver.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=trans ... 56&bih=594

Looks quit simple, jigsaw and a bit of ply should sort it, bungee strap to fix in place.

H-A
denchen

Post by denchen »

If it can be easily unclamped what about turning it round so the prop and leg is in the boat
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

Watertight seat/compartment prevents turning round
Will make a stay out of a whisky barrel stave
Will make a stay out of a whisky barrel stave
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I got this think that gives a little more space on the transom.
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

That bracket that you have posted up as an extention will cause more harm than good without using a transom support bracket. What it will do (From a physics point of view) is create more of a leverage and almost double the weight effect. Once its traveling along going over bumps and humps your going to have a lot of weight bobbing up and down on the back. Ive posted up a couple of pics showing a motor support bracket rigged up on a boat, and another bracket kit that has different mounting clamps to wrap around the rear part of your trailer. That kit is common around the world. so i would think you guys should have them in the uk someplace. Watched your you-tube clips of your boat. It does get along pretty well with that motor.
Attachments
mQbtEFnCkqv9CUNEMEkVdOQ.jpg
mQbtEFnCkqv9CUNEMEkVdOQ.jpg (13.32 KiB) Viewed 784 times
AMS-1-motor-support-transom-saver-install-500.jpg
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Interesting this.

For the last 40 years I have just "Hung" my outboard motors directly down on a transom when towing. Over some rough AU roads many miles.

Never had a problem with broken anything. Even rubber engine mounts etc.

It has only been the last 5 years or so that transom/engine/support/brackets have been advertised. I have never, myself, found out exactly why they are needed?

When I was very young and learning from Olders............it was a NO NO ever to trail an outboard/boat setup except for "Outboard Down". Vertical etc. That is how they were sprung from design. That was back in the daze of clinker and bondwood boats. Wood transoms supported by decent underpinning trailer hardware. "Sprung weight on Wood".

Design has not changed, just "Concept".

I believe that kicking a motor with some form of support saves stone chips on the leading faces of the prop is all. The centre of mass changes at the top of transom because the power head is no longer supported by its mountings. Leans forward into boat if you get my thought..........Leverage is reversed.

Just my experience as yes, chips from stones on some of my larger motor props :

WHICH!

Adds to them all being Tough Bastards!

Something required down here aye.

:P

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

Problem solved. Tow ball on the car is too high. To get the boat trailer level I need a 4" drop plate. That would raise the rear by about 2" and solve my problem.
chris

Post by chris »

How heavy is the suzuki, because if it isn't to heavy why not carry it in the car boot but that might depend on the size of your car I suppose, with the seagulls I always carry them in the back of the car and put them on when I get to the ramp, the transom bracket is left permanent on the boat as I use one of the through bolt plastic mounts which work really well.
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

The longshaft version 27kg. Modern outboards must not be laid flat. With just a 6 minute drive to the ramp , I like to do my pre launch check at home and then it's just life jackets on and out into the water. Home to water in around 15 minutes.
Back home after - It's off the transom and straight into the barrel for a fresh water run.
tallest sea cliff on Skye
tallest sea cliff on Skye
Picture 676.jpg (10.42 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Collector Inspector

"Life Jackets"

I am getting on in years so maybe..............................

OR

I have just been lucky so far.

B
shistlepot

Post by shistlepot »

You have been lucky not toget caught and getfined Bruce.
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

According to the RNLI 80% of lives lost at sea in the UK would have been saved if those people had worn a life jacket.
Many of those were in Scotland were it is seen as macho if you don't. I don't go out in rough weather but everyone on my boat wears one.
Collector Inspector

I operate in "Enclosed Waters", probably a Western Australian thing in that:

1. I need a fire extinquisher because the motor is over 30Hp. (Have two)

2. I need a bailing bucket or device with a line attached for recovery. (Have that)

3. I do not require any anchor, chain or other related for inland waters. (Have That)

4. I do not require life jackets in inland waters. (Yes thinking as I stated)

5. I do not require any Indicative flare or emergency notification device for inland waters.

6. I do not require any radio or similar in inland waters.

7. I do not require rowing wood thingies. (I have them)

8. The boat Hull must be Registered if CAN be fitted with Propulsive device.....and is of course.........called revenue.

9. If operated in sun down or night, usual navigation lights to be displayed. (Yep have them but usually pissed by then....see next)

10. I will be busted right Royally being Pissed in charge of a floating thing with an engine. (Nothing to report on that yet)

11. A boat handling license is required. Over here it is a Skippers Ticket. (Yep have that)

12. Go Here. http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/imarine/ ... mation.asp

B
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

Lowering the towball by 4" gave me 6" clearance under the outboard. In fact a roller post will touch ground first.
Not one single rule to prevent me going on the sea from my local (6 minutes away) ramp.
Arn't we lucky.