Another addition to the Flotilla

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

jonmac

Another addition to the Flotilla

Post by jonmac »

A fellow work colleague enquired if I still dabbled in vintage outboards and would I be interested in his fathers old Johnson. After a quick look at the motor I decided I would purchase the motor and at a later stage, (when I'm permitted to retire), restore it to it's former glory. Whilst it's not that old, I think it has character. The motor has been wrapped in canvas and under cover for quite a long time. It's a 1958 Johnson Seahorse 10. The fuel tank is a dual line pressurised type. . . jonmac :D :D :D
Attachments
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
Hugz

Re: Another addition to the Flotilla

Post by Hugz »

That's interesting. So the tank is pressurised by one of the lines using the reversed compression stroke of the motor and the pressure pushes the fuel to the carby. If I'm on the correct track and the carb is dry, it is going to take many pulls to start. Is there a way to prime the carb? Or a squirt of juice to speed things along.
phil

Post by phil »

The plunger on the top of the tank is to fill the carb bowl with gas, it gets harder to pump when the float valve in the carb closes. Once the motor starts, the tank is pressurized to crankcase pressure. There is a relief valve in the tank that is set at about 4 psi. It is an excellent and very safe system. The main thing to be concerned with at this point is that the outside bottom of the tank is not badly rusted, also they should have a new diaphragm, relief valve, and top gasket. Also best that the inside is still in decent ( not too rusted) condition, although it could use one of the gas tank coatings that are available if necessary.
jonmac

Post by jonmac »

Hi Hugz, Currently I have no idea. I have only just uploaded a manual on it but haven't read it. There are starting instructions near the handle of the recoil starter, which states: Pump primer bulb until resistance is felt. If and when I get it started I will add to this thread. Thanks for your interest. I have read about these motors that have the dual lines, so it will be an experience to work it out. There is a primer button on the top of the tank. The yellow wire is commonly known as Broken Hill string. It is used in the mines to set off explosives. So there is an abundant supply of this wire. It is used in place of thin rope or twine . . . jonmac :D
Attachments
Priming button
Priming button
Starting Instructions
Starting Instructions
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

You don't come across the twin line tanks much anymore, I ended up converted my old Evinrude to a single fuel pipe set up, it was pretty easy, just block one part of the diaphragm behind the carb and add a fuel pump.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Now I can see the plunger all makes sense. A good description by Phil too. Quite innovative for its day.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Aquire it somehow and enjoy it.

Lucky opportunity.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
jonmac

Post by jonmac »

Hi Bruce, Yes it's now a part of the mini collection. It seems to grow ever so slowly, but still growing. I hope when I get to retire restoring these and mowers it will keep me busy. :D . . . jonmac
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

:D

You must realise that our Governing Elite keep pushing retirement age up?

Start restoring now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others