Marlin Model 346 Sportwin. A Helping Hand

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Collector Inspector

Marlin Model 346 Sportwin. A Helping Hand

Post by Collector Inspector »

Spiro has accepted the request of collecting and dispatching a Marlin Model 346 from Melbourne to me in Perth.

I purchased it on the Bay maybe 5 to 6 years ago and has been in storage locally over there. Just managed to contact the kind storage person after so long and it is still there.

Spiro kindly accepted the challenge of picking up and organising the camel across the great divide to my West coast.

This is what collecting is all about......not only exchanging information of interest but also the helping hand.

Nationally and Internationally the system works so well between us all.

This task is of no small undertaking as the motor is a bit of a lump so much appreciation indeed.

I already have one but a better one is always needed Aye.

They look like this:

f346_1.JPG
f346_1.JPG (30.47 KiB) Viewed 611 times
DSC04822.JPG
S may post what happens......never know.

BnC[/color]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Re: Marlin Model 346 Sportwin. A Helping Hand

Post by AusAnzani »

Could we make it a seagull or similar size in future please. Although I am yet to see this thing in the flesh, the references to it's size/weight and how to deal with the pre-delivery instructions are making me a little nervous.

That said, am always happy to help out whenever possible. Hope to give your storage man a call later today!

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

B’s Marlin (made in Geelong, Victoria, Australia) as collected and delivered to PnS. I will be making my way over to PnS again today to insure it’s been well packed and ready for its 3,457km trip from Melbourne to Perth.

Should arrive Good Friday, and be delivered to B’s front door Tuesday following Easter Monday.

A little bit different to the usual gift of chocolate Easter eggs, but I’m sure B won’t be complaining.

Regards,
S
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Well they seem to be doing all the right things.

They have wrapped the cowl in a soft foam material an then wrapped the entire outboard in bubble wrap. The aim of the foam is to protect the decals and gel-coat from the bubble wrap which can leave marks, particularly in the warmer weather. The whole lot will be placed on a half skid with heavy cardboard under and around the cowl to further. Once strapped to the skid, all will be shrink wrapped and have 'fragile' and 'top load only' decals applied.

Outboard alone is 39.6kg. Packed weight estimated to be around 50kg. 4 days to Perth.

Regards,
S
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Hmm, they will charge for a tail lift at Bruce's end. Why they cant slide it down a plank I don't know :x
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

All costs are fixed/paid Hugo.

Will be easy enough to remove from skid at B's. On it's own, it can be moved by one.

Had it in and out of the boot of the car (sedan) myself without too much trouble.

Regards,
S
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

That's good to hear. Had a bit of drama with over 30kilos packages in the past. Couriers and myself don't meld.

Have an Australia Post distribution box only fifty metres away which is fantastic. They send me a text with a code and I wander over 24/7 and punch a code in and one of the many doors opens with my parcel inside. Bit like the TV show "Pick a Box" with Bob and Dolly Dyer ha ha. Not good for motors though.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Hugz wrote:That's good to hear. Had a bit of drama with over 30kilos packages in the past. Couriers and myself don't meld.

Have an Australia Post distribution box only fifty metres away which is fantastic. They send me a text with a code and I wander over 24/7 and punch a code in and one of the many doors opens with my parcel inside. Bit like the TV show "Pick a Box" with Bob and Dolly Dyer ha ha. Not good for motors though.
All about Workplace Health and Safety laws and how firm the courier is on all of that. Lifting limit was previously set at 20kg, now 15kg I think.
So yes, there is a potential for this to be a problem, particularly if B is not home to receive.

Regards,
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Arrived and in good health. Pack and Send used TNT and the driver used a pallet jockey to the end of my driveway. The 1/2 pallet I can keep so sending similar from me to some other nut will be easy in the future.

The TNT truck filled up my street for 15 minutes........ 8)

So it left Melbourne late on Tuesday and arrived today Thursday lunchtime at my door..............how cool is that?

And not a mark extra on it. My wobbly legs I can not get it onto a trolley so my visitors over Easter will help with that.

The cowl attaching nut is as you said Spiro...............cross threaded or corrosion under and inner workings. I will sort that out very gently as it is cast aluminium with a steel bolt or similar in it.

The recoil handle and rope is inside......someone put the cowl on after tucking everything up................could be 40 or more years ago now.

Pics of Pack and Send effort. Simple and effective with the services of a long standing transport company in TNT.

In no particular order......

24032016007.jpg
24032016005.jpg
24032016004.jpg
24032016003.jpg
24032016002.jpg
BnC[/color]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Glad to hear/see it arrived in good condition B.

It left late Monday afternoon, so 3 days to Perth. Pretty fast still considering road freight over approx. 3,500km's.

Am however disappointed to see that PnS did not follow instruction ie in terms of placing soft packing between cowl and skid. They also appear to have forgotten to wrap cardboard around the cowl to protect the upper/exposed from any potential damage. And that strap around the cowl, well that just made me cringe. I will try to focus on the positive and be as diplomatic as a 'not-so-happy' Greek man can be when I discuss with them.

Thankfully all went well and you another rare piece in your wonderful collection.

Regards,
S