Filler Cap

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

charlesp

Filler Cap

Post by charlesp »

We have a request to provide illustrations of a filler and cap suitable for a 1950 AD. Here are two views of the cast alloy filler cap. I prefer this one to the plastic versions that arrived later on - you can get a good grip on it.

And here's a filler on what you'll probably recognise as a refueller, which of course was made from a 102 tank in the first place.

pistnbroke
Post by pistnbroke »

Brilliant charles we can always rely on you ....I will make an educated guess at the size with my inch brain in gear !!
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Let's hope the other Charles comes in here with the thread specs. I know he has a data sheet of them...
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The threads are the same on this & the "bakerlite" cap.

I can't belive that anyone would be recreating a 1950's fuel tank & cap.

I would ask Ross Leger & Simpley Seagulls in New Zealand if they had one, failing that, try John Williams.

I'm half way through recreating some Marston tanks & I'm not making the fuel tank necks or the bayonet fitting crome fuel caps, If I told you what I've spent so far, it would only confirm peoples impression that I am a complete ******* idiot.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I suspect the problem here is that the gentleman concerned doesn't have a plastic one to compare.

I do rather agree with you Charles, the best and most obvious course is to simply buy one...
pistnbroke
Post by pistnbroke »

The point is I only paid 20 quid for the seagull and I find johns prices very high ...I can make one for nothing in a couple of hours .why buy one and take longer to knock out the dents ..large nut and bolt with course thread ..onto the lathe and cap and neck are made ...

thanks for your help ..real gentlemen you two

Just made the tank up ..takes about 30 min to get to the stage in the photo..need a thicker coat of primer and some two pack black to finish + the filler and tap ...now can I get the picture on ...??