You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Al Black

1961 Century Plus: first pictures

Post by Al Black »

Hi team, behold my CP!

As can be seen it has the Villiers carb:

As can also be seen it has no serial number! :shock:

So, I tried a couple of wee tests. Firstly, no spark :( but that could easily be a duff lead, I'll investigate later. Engine turns freely, so that's a plus!

Next port of call was the gearbox. I removed the filler cap for a wee look and eventually discovered this!

Grease!

The entire gearbox is packed in grotty grease and sealed with a fluorescent orange gasket sealant. So now I have to strip the gearbox completely and clean the components. Here's hoping there is no damage to the gears once I get a look!

I'll keep you posted as I progress with what looks like being a slightly bigger job than I first thought!

Cheers for now,

Al.
Collector Inspector

Grease is for Anzani Pilots

Post by Collector Inspector »

Al

Nasty Grease full of salt I bet. Oh well, welcome to Seagulls previous owners.

You may well want to remove the block and look in the water jacket as well at this time.

A wee clean up there as well is certain.

Keep the pics of progress coming on this post mate so a time line and "endeavors/advice" can be followed in order.

It will make great reading and be helpfull to others over the next month I am sure.

Stick with it Mate.

Regards

C.I.
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
niander

Post by niander »

No serial number
I think some went out through the back door at the factory!
maybe thats why...
That chain looks a tad strange ...hanging off the choke init..
Al Black

Post by Al Black »

CI, thanks for the comments. Don't worry, I intend to do a photo-blog of the trials and tribulations of Seagull Restoration Mind you. it's going to take me more than a month!

Niander: the previous owner was in the police force. He may have acquired it at an auction of stolen/un-recovered goods!

Any advice and comment much appreciated!

Al.
Collector Inspector

Choke Chain

Looks a bit odd yes but when starting in cramped corners (Crock Infested Northern Territory Example) a worn choke without easy finger access can be a problem. Especially if a Crock has removed a few earlier in Sea gulling about the N.T.

Chain loop around thumb of tank steady hand, pull with the other, it starts , you weave between said crocodiles and mangroves and when ready give it a pull to reverse choke?

Maybe if really worn, attach to some screw on transom?

No idea a European similarity but handy all the same if travelling continental with ya Gull.

Regards

C.I.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Sorry to disapoint, most of the Seagull distributors carried a stock of new crankcases, as many of the seagulls that were stood leaning against the middle of the shed wall, were knocked over snapping off the tiller arm stub, needing a new crankcase. And often for a heavyly used outboard it was easier to replace the crankcase that contained new bearings, than fit & ream replacement mains.
Non of these replacement crankcases had any form of identification numbers stamped on them, so unless the repairer had a set of letter & number stamps to hand they never got stamped.
And no one cared, the owner wanted a working outboard, not a piece of maritime history, will it run? not when was it made? seems to have been the prime source of motivation.
Al Black

Post by Al Black »

Latest news: the gearbox is now clean and grease-free. The bevel gear looks to be true and free from wear (no pictures cos it was a messy job!).

I've also cleaned the gunk out of the fuel line.

Next job is to investigate the lack of spark. The HT lead seems to be ok, checked it with a multimeter and got evidence of continuity.

Next question is: Where exactly do I stick the probe to check the coil? The HT lead hole is very big and the probe is very small! What mark on the coil should I be aiming for?

All help much appreciated,

Al.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I would take the nut/plate off and check to see if everything is there first! May just need the drill trick to energise it.
Collector Inspector

More pictures of your efforts for us?

Best Regards

C.I.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The electric drill is the last stage.
The first move is CLEAN & SET THE POINTS and every other contact you can find down the spark trail, the flywheel does not have to come off to do the points, every Seagull that has stood for more than 6 months usually needs this treatment.