Home made tank

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Hugz

Home made tank

Post by Hugz »

charlesp

Post by charlesp »

The serial suggests 1950/51, as the vendor states. But by then the flywheel would, I suspect, be the slightly more rounded version, and the gearbox would have been a 'filler cap' type without oil nipples. The prop wouldn't be from a 'Barge Pusher.

The tank is from a stationary engine I think (I'm sure the other Charles will leap in here if I'm wrong), the throttle lever looks a little too big but I can't be sure.

The air intake is not original, and the magneto cover plate would have been 'in the world' not 'for the world'. And of course the thumbscrews are replacements.

That's all from a quick glance.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

And it is for sale in Horsley :lol:

Bit far to go, wrong hemisphere.

Looks like a cut and shut job to me, has someone taken about 4 inches out of the exhaust and drive tube?

H-A
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The straight out the back water pump housing was only used uo to the end of the SD,s, & it might just be a little shorter, but the vendor is not hiding anything in his pictures,

Looks quite good, the water is fairly salty in Brisbane, I know I've contributed to it's salinity.
As long as it's been looked after, flushing wise, it should do what it says on the tin.

$160 Australian give's it a start price of mid £60's, which is where we'd expect it to finish over here, but it does look loved.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Not sure I entirely agree with the flat exhaust port ending with the SD. Early AD's had flat exhaust with three nipples and later ones has round port with one nipple but then no doubt seagulls being seagulls there would be variants. Also I've yet to see an AD with writing on the flywheel cover, generally it is blank. But then again I'm a neophyte in this seagull business!

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/fo ... .php?t=953

Cheers Hugo
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Have to agree with Hugz on that one, earlier AD and AC models had the flat exhaust. I have two AD and one AC that are like that. Now I can see a flat one being replaced by a round one, but not the other way.

I had forgotten that thread, perhaps my memory was in some way obscured by the photo half way down which prevented me from keeping abreast of things.

I am confident that later AD/AC models would have had the 'in the world' wording, but the exact date remains a mystery.