They do seagull racing

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

So will you grace us with your prescence then Timberman?

My (race proven) boat if made out of original GRP, lovingly laid down by highly skilled Scandinavian craftsmen.

New race engine may be there, if not AC with new rings should be adequate.

Might even put my new transfers on just to make it look quicker :lol: .

From what I can see there is a pub next door to the boat club, so worst case we could always retire to the Pub for a few schooners of the amber nectar.
(For the benefit of those in the southern hemisphere we don't actually use schooners to drink beer from we have progressed to pints) :)

H-A
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Well 40 TPI has asked to borrow my dingy so I'm going to have to build a suitable motor to demonstrate how easy it is to do, & use the grey boat (Half Fast Pom) as the Kiwi's call it.

Only 3 weeks, that's 21 sleeps, not a lot of time so it will have to be a century, maybe with a featherweight bottom end, it will have to be a parts bin special, I'd better start looking through all my storage boxes.
woodbutchergraham

Post by woodbutchergraham »

So then Charles going for the Bermudan style rig, some one please take a video of this and post it on You Tube. Only wish I could witness this as I’m not sue we will get invited again!. :? Keep up the good work Lads but the only problem is that the higher the profile of this much overlooked little engine, is only pushing up the prices on the bay. :cry:
Life is what you make it, and what you make could change your life.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Only 21 days no problem," TC minus L "race prep going well, cast iron dust is so messy, as is aluminium dust. :wink:(almost forgot the brass dust).

If all goes well it will be losing 6 inches this weekend.

Do we know how many people will be coming? R-B-T will be sunning him self elsewhere and perhaps finding out that small cats go best in the sun with wind power.

I hope that we get good weather.

H-A
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

No Graham, no Bermudian Rig, I will be dressing quite conservatively due to the weather.

On that cylinder is that Matt or satin black? starting to look nice.

Found most of the bits for a black drive shaft model 75, last night.
woodbutchergraham

looks like its not only speed you lads are looking for. H-A on the lines of the clasic satin black and polished look may be after pulling more than just a passing glance. Charles has someone thrown down the gauntlet or are you going to restrict your Seagull to one wing only.
You may have to watch out for the water police with the speed gun.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I'm putting together a classic Seagull, well almost a classic it will have a plastic tank & a powder coated drive tube if I can find the waterpump housing.
It's a late model 75 that I found 90% of the bits for, I'm missing the gearbox pinion but John has bailed me out & is putting one in the post tomorrow with a couple of cylinder heads.
So far I've only had one major setback found a beautiful cylinder & started removing all the ugly casting marks, transfer port looks pristine, inlet port as pretty as HA's, so last job is to remove a big ugly booger in the exhaust port, turns out beautiful, wipe it with my finger to remove all that cast iron dust, what's this? a window appears into the water jacket, so RBT your prayers did work!
Spent all day in a bad mood looking for another good cylinder, in the end I had to disassemble a model 75 that I stole the leg off when I was rebuilding a Curlew.

Now we're cooking, new bearings everywhere, the insides will be upto blueprint standard, let's hope the outsides will be as good.

Is there anyone who fancies watersking past Hampton Court?
woodbutchergraham

Go for it Charles, good to Know you have a back up plan. Sorry the castings are giving you jip, looking forward to seeing the pictures of this one.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Back up plan, I was just lucky, I'd forgotton I had the top half of a model 75.

Putting together a powerhead that will survive a serious hammering far greater than anything, that is was designed for, requires all the best bits you can find, or at least the parts most suited for the task in hand.

The piston that is possibly going to work 35% harder than it's standard duties wouldn't want to be a tight new one, the heat input from it's extra revs might cause it to tighten up & start to seize.
So a good well used one will do the job better.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

My 102 is now minus the L.

Some say this has lost me 0.1hp, but at least it now looks in proportion.

Now time to put it back together again.

H-A
woodbutchergraham

Looks aint everyting, HA using lots of Brasso then? or have you developed a polishing fetish. It comes tous all in the end you know.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Yes "Sensei" 空手

Polish on polish off.

I am in deep training, trying to develop my inner Zen self.

:)

H-A
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

John's excelled himself again, phoned on Monday, pinion arrives wednesday lunch time.

Thanks John.

No excuses left better get a move on.

Broke 2 cylinder to crankcase studs today trying to remove them, wish I'd ordered some of them from John with the rest of the bits.

Now to start cleaning everything, prior to checking it's condition, finish the prop shaft & build the gearbox.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Carb done

Soon be going again.

H-A
timberman2004

Post by timberman2004 »

H-A, that's all going to be too pretty to use

Hammerite paint on the carb?
just out of cursory interest were they ever painted originally ex-factory ?
Neal...errrr... an ON, OP, 2xSD, F, 3xSJP, LLS, 2xFV, FVP, FPC, CPC WPCL, WSC, and a few eggs hatching, hopefully