Outboard Lock

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Mark
Outboard Lock

Post by Mark »

Hi, I was wondering whether anyone had found a good make of outboard lock for a 40 plus? Not that it is worth much - but I would still rather lock it when left on the boat.

Thanks

Mark
Ian Malcolm

Post by Ian Malcolm »

As you only have to undo two bolts to remove the powerhead from the leg or pull the pivot pin to take the engine off the bracket, there isnt anything I've ever seen 'off the shelf' that will secure a Seagull. I usulally just put a cheap bike lock through the leg to discourage casual pilferage. I suspect the most secure one could get would be to devise some way of locking the pivot pin in place and attaching a security cable at the same point but I suspect you'd need to get a custom fitting welded up to do the job.
Alan G

Post by Alan G »

I ahve tried to find a padlock with a long staple but not been able to find on that is quite long enough to go right through where the lpivot pin goes. If anyone does come across a source please circulate it.

Alan G
Alan L Gordon
Mark
The other thought I had.....

Post by Mark »

Having been the victim of an outboard theft in the past, it strikes me that it would be relatively easy to set up a database of seagulls which get stolen in the uk using the engine numbers, which most seagull owners have a record of. Sooner or later any seagull would need spares, and really there's only three main sources - SOS, Seagullparts, and British Seagull. A cross check against that database would establish that an engine is stolen. Maybe seagulls don't often get stolen, but in my experience thefts of any boat parts seem to go up just before boat jumbles.
John@sos

Stolen Outboards

Post by John@sos »

It would be simple to set up a separate section of the Forum, a topic for stolen motors, but we have to guard against malicious entries. A stolen motor should have a reference to an actual owner so it can be double checked.

Having said that it only needs an owner who has lost one and has the number and we can start it!

I am pleased to say I have been instrumental in one recovery and one arrest.

Regards,
john
SOS
John@sos

Locks

Post by John@sos »

As a postscript. I have always chained my Seagull to my sternrail on the boat, with a large brass padlock. The chain loops round the engine and the bracket as well. If anyone wants it they will have to use chain croppers and if they are that determined no lock will stop them!

Something to prevent the easy theft is all that is needed.

One last year was stolen in broad daylight when it was put down on the pavement outside a Burnham yacht club, whilst the owner went to get his car.... A whit transit pulled up, and in seconds it was gone. 20 people saw it happen and thought nothing of it, no one took the index....

Lock it or lose it we used to say!

Regards,
John
SOS
sandymac

Post by sandymac »

Forget padlocks period. Better to buy one of this style of lock or similiar. I run a boatyard and see it all..literally.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Outboard-Engine-L ... dZViewItem

or
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Fulton- ... dZViewItem

regards sandy
Alan G

Post by Alan G »

Nice try Sandy, but maybe you should take a close look at a Seagull. They have a removable pivot pin so the locks you suggest are useless. John's suggestion of a a chain and padlock round the drive shaft to something solid on the boat is the only real answer.
regards, A
Alan L Gordon
sandymac

Post by sandymac »

Oooooops, does it show that its about 20years since i last used/owned seagulls??!!!!!!!!

cheers sandy
ALAN

Post by ALAN »

[quote="Ian Malcolm"]As you only have to undo two bolts to remove the powerhead from the leg or pull the pivot pin to take the engine off the bracket.(unquote)

I have drilled the clamp where the L shaped pin clips shut and am able to put a padlock through to secure the pin.

I also have a small piece of chain which I put the pin through underneath and thread around the leg which makes a neat way of stopping the leg from being unbolted.

The thumbscrews can be made cylindrical with a little inginuity and a normal tube type engine lock will secure the lot to the transom.

Regards.

Alan.