Old Outboards and "THE PARTNER......"

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Collector Inspector

Old Outboards and "THE PARTNER......"

Post by Collector Inspector »

I have noticed recently some comments pertaining to "Partners", common law or, good grief, actual marriage?

Old outboards in general in the family home and surrounding sheds and nooks and crannies appear to be somewhat of a relevant starting topic when a HID has some influence enough to actually get grown men admitting that they have to shuffle similar engines about and "HIDE" said items of interest?

How about some stories to make us all feel better eh?

Me? 1st wife, (Separated last 12 years) made the mistake of thinking that the young bloke she married was going to change. NUP!

Other recent partners were really cool until, probably the same at the end. I have found that having a partner, you have to actually share. Share what they want not what you want.

I am now solidly independent with a wonderfull daughter (Into Anzani Pilot at the moment), an aged Mum and just the best Cat!...........and over 200 outboards............

Enough of that get cracking!

Lets all have a laugh!

Regards

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
dobro

Re: Old Outboards and "THE PARTNER......"

Post by dobro »

As one of the 'partner' posters I felt a bit of clarification was in order. For some of us 'partner' is along the lines of 'Howdy partner'.

Mick (warder54) and I are buddies. For partners read co-owners.

Our respective pelvic affiliates think we're totally bonkers for doing what we do. 'You go out to sea in that? You must be braver than we thought'.

Basic engineering, fishing, wild camping, boy's toys and sitting in our 'empty box' any time we feel like it are all manly pursuits, unobstructed by wives and sweethearts (may they never meet)

I'm going off now to make grunting noises and gnaw on a bone.
'A bad day's fishing is better than a a good day doing anything else'
philj

Post by philj »

Hi all,
I have been married to my wife for 23 years, she hates boats, engines, landrovers and all things that are dirty/oily/smelly. At first she thought I was quite normal. The first thing that she found a bit strange was when I sold my 3 year old fiesta and got a 1965 Anglia. following on from that I had a selection of cars that she didn't approve of, slowly I managed to intergrate my tinkering from my fathers back garden to our kitchen. Soon she was finding landrover parts in the freezer, dishwasher and often in the oven. She sometimes mentioned that another landrover was parked round the corner from our house, only to find out I owned it. At one point I had 3, all parked in strategic places in my local area.
I remember one occasion where I droped one of the exhaust manifold spacers down the drain outside my house. Unable to finish the job I was doing i put the head in the dishwasher, jumped in my car and drove to the landrover shop to get a replacement. I had lots of time as she was not due back from work for ages. It was that day that the tail pipe decided to fall off and I was delayed for several hours. So when I got home I was expecting some trouble.
But none, just a "oh I took that thing out, is that OK or did it need doing again"
So the answer is, over time with increased levels of exposure HID can become quite relaxed around old lumps of engine in the house. It just takes time and effort!
Mind you I do now keep my seagulls either in the shed, at work, or on the boats as she will not let me keep them in the living room!
Best regards
Philj
Waggles

Post by Waggles »

HID and I have been together for just over 30 years despite old outboards! but she still hates boats, especially those with 'White flappy things' ( I think her mother may have been frightened by a bedsheet whilst pregnant ) still thats fine by me, I know where I can spend a nice quiet weekend even if I don't leave the mooring! ( perhaps thats why we remain together? ) Any attempt now to obtain other motors is met with a rolling of the eyes heavenwards and the question I am sure most of us have heard 'Just how many motors do you need? you only have one boat and an inflatable'. As well as the Flockette ( only 3 at the moment ) I also run an old 2 stroke 4 horse M*rin*r. I know the japs can be a bit ruthless with the withdrawal of spares ( the prop nut can now no longer be ordered apparently ) so I decided to collect somes spares from the bay, I got a powerhead and some other bits to renovate and store ready for when the old girl gets tired reasoning I can get the spares now while I still can. What do I get? 'You are just smuggling in another motor in pieces!' ** Sigh ** still, now she's seen that I can get another gull and just tell her ' I don't know how you do it but you were right, you amaze me!' she beleives she has a victory, I get a gull AND my M*rin*r parts! Yay! ( Outboard recognition is not her strong point, I will tell her I remove the useless coverings and fairings to make it lighter )
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Hey Mates!

This is absolutely Splendid indeed!

Just the simple things of outboards and carrying on with life etc?

Maybe continue with stories like above, all very good!

As an aside, I had no real problems with having "Boy Toys" or even a proper workshop with a 12volt caravan fridge in it to keep the essentials cool along the way, no matter what number of "Strange Mechanical Oddments" that were not directly connected to "Indoor Stuff" that relate to care and maintenance to white goods and that absolutely bloody awful mixer that came from some great Aunt............................You know what I mean.

Also, I now live a single life as I prob indicated but, really, for an Old Dear Outboard ( of any make), to live inside, it has to be as new with no Petro Chemicals etc anywhere in or around it.

Saying that, I have 3 BMB Brits as hat and tie racks and an Anzani Single being re-built in the kitchen. (White Gloves) I like things neat and tidy day to day living you know?

Regards

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others