Marston

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

headcase

Marston

Post by headcase »

This is for you Marston enthusiasts!!
A couple of months back I posted an enquiry regarding parts for a Marston OF I'd found. After soaking the cylinder in diesel,, hoping to soften the waterway channels corrosion, it has just about fallen apart. Seems the rust was all that was holding it together.
If no one out there has a spare cylinder for me to restore it, perhaps one of the Marston collectors could do something with it.
I'd love to keep it but if the parts are unavailable it should go to a good home.
Regards,
Steve
Colin

Post by Colin »

Hello Steve.

As one of this forum's newest members I hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes, but I would like to give my two bits worth.

If you are unable to obtain a cylinder for the engine I would be very interested in offering you whatever you feel the engine is worth and continuing the project.

Although, I'm no expert on the Marston, I have restored a number of antique gas and one diesel engine, over the years and have a full machine shop. Its been my experience that most non-electrical parts can be built in the home machine shop, or if beyond repair, by starting from scratch, fabricating a pattern then machining a new part from a fresh casting.
Colin

Northern Star
Vancouver BC.
Charles UK

Marston Cylinder

Post by Charles UK »

Steve
Do you have any pictures of the crumbling cylinder? can you send them on to me.
I have an OA cylinder in a similar state, parts of the water jacket flaking off, thay I'm about to have welded to see if I can return it to full funtionality.
As I see it there are several stage to this type of repair,
1, full repair with clean water jacket invisible to the naked eye from 3 feet,
2, cosmetic repair with clean water jacket but plastic filler used with weld to make jacket water tight, ugly but works perfectly.
3, meuseum repair, non funtional water jacket full of plastic filler, looks perfect, but don't run as will self distruct.

Your OF is far too interesting for the big skip, send me your land line phone number on a private message so that I can give you a ring to discuss your options.

Charles UK
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Hi

I've sent you a PM, perhaps you'd care to ring me...