Forty Plus

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Colin

Forty Plus

Post by Colin »

I decided, like many here, to start acquiring my own flock of Seagulls. My latest acquisition, purchased yesterday, is a Forty Plus and built in May 1973. I’m not sure if it will adequately power my boat as she’s quite heavy (over a ton), but I really wanted the motor to add to my flock.

I could not resist it since it was a one owner, unused for many years, but properly stored. It’s in excellent condition and the owner stated it was never used in salt water. Based on its condition, including its corrosive free drive shaft, I believe him. I have a few minor things to do on it mostly cleaning. The tank and its paint are in excellent condition, only fading no dents or scratches; I doubt I’ll repaint it. Photos will be coming in a few weeks.
Colin

Northern Star
Vancouver BC.
Andrew Craig-Bennett

Post by Andrew Craig-Bennett »

Based on my September '72 Forty Plus, with a similar history, I would change the HT lead - the old style hard plastic plug cap will let you down sooner or later.
Que scais-je?
Colin

Post by Colin »

Andrew Craig-Bennett wrote:Based on my September '72 Forty Plus, with a similar history, I would change the HT lead - the old style hard plastic plug cap will let you down sooner or later.
Thanks Andrew, I'll keep that in mind.

I seem to recall reading something about that when I was reading all the posted messages a few days ago.
Colin

Northern Star
Vancouver BC.
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

hello Colin - sounds like you have a nice 'find' with the Forty Plus. Also sounds like you need a tender for your bigger boat, so you can play with all your Seagulls! Rick
Colin

Post by Colin »

RickUK wrote:sounds like you need a tender for your bigger boat, so you can play with all your Seagulls! Rick
I did have one a few years ago, but I found it to be a nuisance towing it. The boat at 19 ft., is not large enough to store a tender on board and towing it during heavy weather, was downright dangerous.
Colin

Northern Star
Vancouver BC.