You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

headcase

ebay

Post by headcase »

Has anyone else noticed the Marston on ebay? Item number250021264465
headcase

Post by headcase »

Not sure it is a Marston now, just had a closer look and it's an early 102, possibly a DON
Any ideas?
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

- think it's an early 102 - interesting though! Rick
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Yeah - think you are on the nose with the DON idea. Rick
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I've pored over the photos, and I'll be sending the vendor a request for better ones and a serial.

It's certainly a 102, certainly a short water jacket with no fins(as far as I can see) but that could mean a number of models.

The water pump housing does not have the lug for the accessory rudder, and I can't see if the silencer has the extended skirt at the bottom.

I can't even make out if there's a prop spring. Then there's the prop shape - I have a feeling a DON had a different blade.

I's got a gearbox, so it's not an OJ or an OP so it could well be a DON or ON if there's no prop spring. Or an SN or an SD.

Either way, what's that on the tiller arm? is it a gear change?
Charles UK

Is it a Marston

Post by Charles UK »

Check out the fuel tank.
Marstons had the fuel cap in the centre of the tank so did pre war DON's they also had fins on the cylinder head.
Post ish war fuel tap.

So that makes the engine number start with an S.
Copper coolie hat on a MK1 flywheel & no obvious chrome therefore the Navy version.

No transom bracket
So the start money is about its full value.

The other Charles (UK)
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Agree with you, Charles.

What's that thingy on the tiller arm, though?
headcase

Post by headcase »

Hello all, thanks for the replies. Charles, the thingy on the tiller arm isn't the clutch. I've zoomed in on the pic and the clutch lever can be made out under the tiller where it should be. There seems to be the early type Amal throttle lever surrounded by much insulating tape which is presumably to keep the throttle cable secure. Apart from the two blade prop it does look very much like my DON....
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

And as the other Charles says, the tank filler position.

The bit about fins or no fins is, I think unimportant, they seem to have used whatever block they had to hand...

You're right about the gearchange, that seems to be there.

What's the bare metal colour on the tank end all about? Can't work out why that should be like that...

No tiller lug...

Maybe we ought to run photos like this as a sort of competition....
headcase

Post by headcase »

The lady selling the motor has updated the page and says it's an SD. I thought that spring prop drives had taken over by then so either I'm mistaken or it's another mystery for Charles P !!
Charles UK

Marston or Bitsa

Post by Charles UK »

It's a Bitsa, but whoever fixed it over the last 60 years has done quite a lot of difficult work.
The ON gearbox shouldn't fit on an SD leg, ON has a round driveshaft with keys (right up to & including the crank) so the pinion must have been changed, or the prop shaft.
The other Charles & I disagree about the cylinder fins, I think Seagull would have used fined cylinders until they ran out & then moved onto smooth.
Marston 102's without fins are because the short waterjacket is the only cylinder that will fit as a water tight replacement.

The other, other Charles UK
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Hmm, well it's an SD or at least the crankcase is!

I can't make out the prop spring, so I can't be convinced it's an ON gearbox - what the other other other Charles says is quite correct about driveshafts etc.

I have to say I'm coming round to The other other other Charles' view about the 'fins or no fins' question.

Nice to see any sort of Seagull with a coolie hat ignition on eBay, though. There was another SD in with a job lot, and another with a flat magneto.
Charles UK

Charles versis the other Charles

Post by Charles UK »

There's nothing wrong with an healthy dissagreement Charles.

The other Charles
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I did say I'm coming round to your way of thinking about the fins!

The only thing that stops me is that the 78cc versions either have or don'y have them also - do you reckon there was a later batch of 'unfinned' blocks made that were used as spares?

I would love to think that there was some rhyme or reason for this - like finned blocks were applied to motors destined for warmer climes - but everything I have learnt about Seagulls points to a 'whatever's nearest to hand' approach.
Charles UK

Marston Fins

Post by Charles UK »

I've never seen one without fins, though I've seen Rick's & one of them has no fins, but I never noticed.
Perhaps that makes me smart enough to be a politician.

Charles UK