Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

It's back! - Same one obviously didn't sell.

There's another one - 'restored' ( see 130023087603 ) which has an interesting bracket, and some even more interesting paint...
Charles UK

102 on Ebay

Post by Charles UK »

This is an interesting motor it must be being sold by a man with access to some very rare new parts, as the cylinder is a 1946 one, one of the very first long water jacket cylinders ( brass hex headed threaded core stoppers only used in 46, they went to steel core plugs after that) I think at this point this was the first of the Seagull pistons that held the gudgeon pin in place with circlips quite a rare piston (wide transfer port notch & circlips), before that all the gudgeon pins were fully floating with ally endcaps, the exhaust port was bridged to stop it falling down the exhaust port.
It also has a very unusual transom bracket with ally "G cramps" & L shaped brass thumb screws.
The tank is also unusual as it is a later brass tank with nickle plated supports as opposed to a steel tank with ally supports that seems to be typical of 46 models.
The other Charles could shed more light on these questions as he's done a lot more research.
Come on Charles fill in the gaps I've left, is it a complete Bitsa or is it as the man says.
I also see someone is selling a nice 1946 102 Bargepusher on there (250024806900)
albert

Re: 102 on Ebay

Post by albert »

Hallo Charles UK,

You wrote: I also see someone is selling a nice 1946 102 Bargepusher on there.

I have a 102 plus and what always puzzles me is the sentence in the leaflet of the 102 plus which says:it is designed to provide maximum thrust at boat speeds up to 8 knots.
As my English is not too good, I do not understand this very well. At least my bargepusher does not reach 8 knots. More something like 5 I think, next time I will try with my GPS standby. And what's more: I do not like this engine so much for its speed, but for its enormous push...
What does B.S. mean with that sentence?

Regards,

Albert
Charles UK

102s

Post by Charles UK »

British Seagull
albert

Re: 102s

Post by albert »

Oooooh, :lol: :lol:

Happy Seagulling!!!
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Frightening, in a way, how many Seagull peoplw get up way too early on Sunday mornings...

The other other Charles is right about gudgeon pins etc as far as I know - Charles you know a vast amount more than me about this sort of thing. I fancy that this could be a 'D' model. But I'm not convinced about the brass core plugs. My 'D' came with round core plugs with a screw slot - they were past their sell-by date, and have been replaced by new hex headed ones that came from the plumber's merchants, where they are a standard fitting. I believe it's 3/8 BSP, but I may well be wrong. They are easily available, however, and could get you out of trouble if needed.

The bracket, well that's rather an unknown. The right bracket for a 'D' - or indeed for that water jacket - is the cast bronze one that is very scarce. Being an IT manager by trade it really does embarrass me to say that I've not got around to working out how to put a photo on here, but here's a link to the Bitish Seagull site where they have a photo of an SD with the bracket I'm thinking of:

http://www.britishseagull.co.uk/history.php

That bronze bracket is the one I reckon it should have. The aluminium 'G' clamps are completely new to me - they just possibly may be home made - or they may be a hitherto undiscovered original. But I'm certain the bracket isn't the one that should go with this motor. The bent brass thumbscrews were gone by the time the aluminium bracket frame had appeared, you only find them with bronze frames. The thrust bracket at the bottom is, I think, plastic, which is of course a replacement.

So the bracket is an oddity, and doesn't belong - although perfectly functional.

The tank is about right for a 'D' or similar - I'd have put it a bit earlier than 1946 though - correct me if I'm wron but I thought that by then they'd moved to the conventional screw threaded tank filler that we all know and love.

Naturally the plastic coolant pipe is a replacement - originally that would be a metal one until a few years later. So also the plastic fuel pipe. But these are 'consumables really. Brass coolant pipe unions, too.

But I'm fairly sure the tank strap lugs are pretty much OK. I'm never sure exactly when they changed from alloy to bent metal, as I'm not certain when the Jubilee clips went and the plated straps arrived.

Gearbox looks OK, though. Oh and the carb is probably a replacement - the shroud is off a Century anyway. The 102 series didn't have a choke shutter. But the magneto baseplate looks right - no protruding flange.

Perhaps it would be easier to ask for the serial number - which is what I'm going to do now...
Charles UK

102 Dating & Features

Post by Charles UK »

Charles
My 102 non clutch, AD2109, therefore 46 to 47 has long water jacket with hex headed brass core plugs & has a steel tank with bayonet cap with a flat top villiers flywheel.
I think the bayonet caps went through to the lateish 1940s with the brass bayonet cap tanks coming in almost at the end of that run when they switched to the cast aluminium screw caps.
headcase

ebay

Post by headcase »

Call that early? some of us were at work at 6am!
Trying to figure this out- last time she put the SD up with a £50 starting bid and it didn't sell. She puts it on again but this time with a £70 start. Am I missing something?
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

The other Charles and myself have just had a conversation about the starting bids - I don't understand it either.

I don't think I'll be bidding.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

The funny coloured one is AD3698L...
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

All other operation has been in fresh water. Last used seven years ago; at that time it started readily and ran flawlessly.
:?: :?:

Classic ebay jargon....
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop