plug cap for a British Seagull

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Colin

plug cap for a British Seagull

Post by Colin »

eBay

I saw this on eBay a few minutes ago; one just has to love the lack of honesty based on the supposed ignorance of the seller.

"...plug cap for a British Seagull engine. It has a small crack though I think this is insignificant..."

Item number: 200023772780
Colin

Northern Star
Vancouver BC.
Ian Malcolm

Post by Ian Malcolm »

Well, depending on where the crack is it may well be perfectlly useable. As the original caps are no longer available, if I had come accross it at a boat jumble I'd probably buy it.

I've had good results with a cracked cap by solvent cleaning it, glueing the crack (cant remember whether I used superglue or thin epoxy), then spraying it inside and out with EHT lacquer, then when that was well dried, polishing inside and out with silicone electrical spray and the barest touch of silicone dielerctric grease.

Before the silicone treatment, the engine cut if it got damp, after I'd siliconed the whole ignition system, it would run with a hoze of full flow fine spray directed at it from any angle and about a two metre distance.

As with any ebay auction it may be a pig in a poke, but if the seller is willing to give some details of the crack loca\tion and length and possibly measure the depth of the skirt in case its been shortened, there is no reason why it wouldn't be worth a bid. I dont see any reason to accuse the seller of dishonesty.
Colin

Post by Colin »

I'm sure you're right Ian, I'm probably very pessimistic having bought a couple of bad ones.
Colin

Northern Star
Vancouver BC.
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

Im still casting my vote for the ebay classic

"Excellent condition. Seized."

(Courtesy one of the Charles', I believe?)
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop