Servicing?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

steveandharry
Servicing?

Post by steveandharry »

Hi, Anyone around the Poole area who can assist with problem on my seagull engine, SEF 16DO.

Doesn't seem to be pumping enough water in tank, Have tried removing prop spring and flushing from the block.

Regards
Steve
ALAN

Post by ALAN »

Most Seagulls rely in part to the motion of the water past the water inlet for some of their water flow through the power head. You can only really tell if the pump is working properly if the engine is in a circular tank or on the back of a boat.

I once had a forty featherweight bought brand new and the flow would stop on tickover. The same is true on my second hand forty plus.

Try blowing through the outlet hole which will tell you if there is a blockage, if it is clear, the water should flow when on a boat. The pump impeller is a fairly rugged piece of kit and your symptoms seem quite normal.

Regards.

Alan.
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

once had a forty featherweight bought brand new and the flow would stop on tickover. The same is true on my second hand forty plus.
All of my Flock do this except for my Forty Plus....when I come into dock I either turn it down to idle in which case I just let it idle for a 30 seconds or so 'dry' ...if Im delayed coming in I blip the throttle again to get water back into the head.

Now that Ive done the approach a couple of times I actually can close the fuel tap at a predetermined point and have the engine run out of fuel 5 feet from the dock and drift in....the spectators always want to know how I shut the motor off when Im in the middle of the boat.

I just point the 'Gulls on shore and tell them "Every Seagull knows how to land"

:D
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop
angusrob

Post by angusrob »

I just point the 'Gulls on shore and tell them "Every Seagull knows how to land"
Lol Might cause some head scratching. Like it, 8)
Now a proud owner of a forty minus bought by grandad for dad, blagged back from 12 years of neglect.