Century 100 56/57

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Grumpy

Century 100 56/57

Post by Grumpy »

Gidday to all.A new member who found this site and am very impressed.I had a silver century way back in the 1970's for a few years then zilch till a month ago when in an attempt to slow down the grim reaper I got another , then another , then yesteday I picked up a century 100 , LLS2054.
I'm trapped.Now I know this is not an oldie by what I see on site here but apparently this godly gift , despite being stored poorly has only been used twice in its life.still has a fragment of the sale tag wired on and everything is so magical .
I reckon , with some work it will come up a treat.
Has just the smallest ding in the tank, original transfers, 8 com spark etc etc. exhaust 95% shiny.Some rusting around especially bottom of drive shaft and the bracket needs some hard graft.
While I'm reading stuff and learning on site here while overhauling the 2x WS centuries this LLS has me by the heart strings.
I'm just a tad worried that I don't stuff it up.Will be starting it up, carefully today, but is there any other advice on where to go from there other than to just clean and overhaul bit by bit ?
No way am I using anything other than 10-1 .I'd even go 1-1 if I had to.
woodbutchergraham

Re: Century 100 56/57

Post by woodbutchergraham »

Welcome Mr Grumpy
Firstly spend time formularising yourself with your engine. Take lots of photos of everything this will help the rest of us understand any problems. As well as we all like to look at one another’s projects. If it has had only two trips out it could be quite simple clean (flush) out the tank. Fuel lines filters in the carb clean inside and out of the carb. Check the plug for a spark check and clean the points. If alls well then it’s time to see if it will start. Fresh 10; 1 mix don’t forget to undo the vent on the filler cap open the fuel tap tickle the primer button on the carb top. Wrap the pull cord around the flywheel a quick glance behind you and pull should start if all’s well by the third pull if nothing check all the above again.
Happy Seagulling
Graham
Life is what you make it, and what you make could change your life.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Thank you Graham.
I did all the pre start things except checking for a spark.
Got a short kick then nothing.
Turned everything off and started again.
Rechecked the fuel line, changed the old 8 com for a new D16 and still got nothing.
So figuring the one difference between humans, well most of us , and animals is logic I applied great thought and pulled the tap on.Beauty.
A monster released.
This beast , unlike my later silver centuries, without a prop in a tank ,moves a steady stream of tepid water through at idle. all 102's of course.
One of the silvers so annoyed me I attached, as per info on another message on this forum,a thin aluminium tube into the water outlet down to about 7inches above the inlet.
It actually works, at least in the tank.
It has a small but steady stream of warmish water at idle whereas before it had nothing although at higher speeds it works great.
I'm still going to use cleaners like vinegar and saltaway to improve the water ways.
Do not know long term results of course.
Thanks again , nothing is gonna ruin my day now.
woodbutchergraham

A positive result is the best one. I’m pleased that all’s well, I too have used the symphonic method of cooling at tick over on my 40+ when the temp was 100+ in the French alps it was essential, as for flushes i only use in fresh water.
Attachments
P8030179.JPG
xtaffy2

Post by xtaffy2 »

Hi all.
Could you discribe the symphonic tube in a bit more detail?
I have a century 100 number LLs 164J6 and as we often have high temps it might be handy for me to fit one.
And a second Q Whats that hairy flesh coloured thing with a crack down the middle, thats in the lower RH corner of your pic ???? :lol:
Kiss =Keep it simple stupid
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

xtaffy2 wrote:And a second Q Whats that hairy flesh coloured thing with a crack down the middle,
That will be the Faux Fur transom cover, they are all the rage up north. :lol:

H-A
xtaffy2

Post by xtaffy2 »

Ho! thank goodness for that, i had a mental image of his rear end, :oops: as he bent over the transom playing with his symphonia
Kiss =Keep it simple stupid
woodbutchergraham

Now now chaps this is supposed to be a serious post. I am well aware that not all of you are brave enough to post pictures referring to your appendages. But my symphonics are as we would say up north in fine fettle. Thank you for asking 8)
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Help me with this one, guys.

This symphonic tube, is this like woodwind or brass? Where does the conductor sit? Or do we use recordings?
woodbutchergraham

Personaly i dont think it matters just dangle it over the side it helps keep you cool. Not so good if your a long way to your waterline and have only a short one! :P
please refer to previous photo
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Just great,
Here I was thinking what a great site this is and with so many people who appear intelligent and truely interested in Seagulls .
A pot of gold a haven of sanity a source of untold inside information which would be priceless ,and is,to so many.
Instead it seems you lot are more interested in the last position provided in WW2.
bombers
I thank you lot and request you get back down onto the water .
What is it, are you having sand storms or an unusually hot winter up there.
Cheers mates.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Grumpy wrote:I thank you lot and request you get back down onto the water .
What is it, are you having sand storms or an unusually hot winter up there.
Cheers mates.
Sorry if we are a little off course, it is probably the cabin fever.

Snow on the way, amber storm warning, gail force wind, shed too cold to work in.

Don't be grumpy Grumpy we would love to get back in the water I am just going out to tie the boats down.

H-A
atoyot

Post by atoyot »

Hey, Grumpy, welcome to SOS.

Regarding your interest in water cooling via a siphon line, this link may be of help -

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1510

...and, there's a youtube video that covers this as well -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfjpVoazL2Q

This engine's had the Tygon tubing that was used in these experiments replaced with stainless steel tubing. Please stay with us on this board, as it's a really good bunch here.

Stay safe,

Ted
There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.
- Prof. Peter Drucker
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Cheers Ted and H-A. and all.
I'm happy , very, with staying on and theres nothing at my age I can't handle except birds under 60, any male over 5'1'' more than 6 beers and 6 rums, any food thats not laden with 50% cholestrol.
Now thanks for this syphon info.
!0 mins ago I ran my new old cent 100, absolute perfect running order now with a dream waterflow at all speeds.
I have come to the sad conclusion that this is not going to be a prima donna due to rust and storage decay but it will become a very nice and tidy and somepart shiny low mileage workhorse that will tickle my fancy .
Also ran One of the silver centuries , with the syphon also has a flow now at all speeds but it does'nt seem anywhere near as good .
Now, while I'm still going to keep working on cleaning up the waterways , without taking off the head because thats scares me, I am nervous about trying it out on a long run in case it overheats or am I overreacting.The water is coldish at speed so I reckon I just blast ahead.
Also on 2 of my gulls the Accel cable is split in the outer casing although they work aok. Leave them alone or replace?
Think I;ve said enuff.
Cheers.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Nothing to be nervous about with a long run as you have a backup!

Plonk said backup into bow of ship and away you go..........................hopefully to return

If in doubt, doodle around near your launching place for, say, two hours. Use both motors.

Practice changing them over on dry land first.......................or tie with a lanyard in the process.

Next thing is a set of paddles. (disclaimer)

You may well be surprised that when an engine is running on a transom, it will stay running.

Just an aside here................Older salts locally used to flush out motors, not nec Seagulls, and then run them out of water untill blocks got hot. They tell me that it dried the passages and loosened "Crap" gently over time that would be flushed away next use.

I have a Riptide twin that I got from an original purchaser, he always did that. It has perfect water way internals. (I pulled one head off and put it back on again imediately.)

Mind you, the water ways need to be in good fettle from the get go!

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others