Century 100 56/57

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Grumpy

Re: Century 100 56/57

Post by Grumpy »

Collector Inspector, thank you and your posting on water flow is exactly what I needed.
Despite everything I want my seagulls running with good and proper water flow and to know it .so whatever it takes I going to work at it.
Or as I realise now by looking at the photos in your post I''ll have to take the head off and clean manually. Last option however.
There are many cleaning agents and chemicals offered that I am lost though.
My thoughts, A 15 minute blast with caustic soda up the outlet of a seagull upside down.
Then say 30 minutes of running in a tank with a 5-10 % white vinegar solution then a run thru with clean water followed by regular flushes of saltaway after normal use.
Then can anyone point me to the best post onsite re 102 head removals, idiot proof, determined idiot proof.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Removing the head is like tossing a coin. Some you win some you loose.

Some of the roughest looking engines come apart very easily, but then the one that you thought would be easy shears off every bolt.

If the bolts do break then I find lots of heat on the remaining piece (red hot) then vice grips will get most out.

If they shear off flush with the face of the cylinder then it will mean drilling out and re-tapping the thread.

There is no magic method, it does not say "do not remove without" good reason.

But like most things once you have done it once it becomes easier.

I feel chemical removal of the rust is not an option, when you have spent a couple of hours chipping away you may see why.

As I have said before I would not trust any engine without cleaning the water ways, perhaps as this is such a fundamental problem a specific technical sheet or video is required.

H-A
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I think pulling a head off a motor, just because you don't trust it, is going a little too far.
Especially a fifty year old motor that's never been touched and is pumping water, cannot see the logic.
On a day out with my FVP, I ran it for seven hours and only ever stopped once with an oiled up plug.
If you tell Joe Bloggs to start pulling apart motors without the right tools or any basic knowledge they will end up like Buzzook, (no offence), removing the head has to be the last option.
I have two motors and they will run with the head bolts removed, will I pull the heads off, not likely.
I don't think you can trust any vintage motor fully, but that's half the fun running them.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I would rather not be in the clouds of steam and paint burnt off the cylinder club.

I know some people may not have the tools or experience, but there are also the Joe Blogs who will think their invincible Seagull will take them out to sea what ever its condition.

It is my thinking that if you are going to use any old engine, then try to ensure it is reliable.

I think the somewhat bad reputation that Seagulls have gained is through poor or no maintenance.

If you want to have a trouble free Seagull, clean the water ways.

If you can’t take the head off yourself, find someone who will do it for you.

H-A
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I know some people may not have the tools or experience, but there are also the Joe Blogs who will think their invincible Seagull will take them out to sea what ever its condition.
I do understand what you are saying.
But if they are stupid enough to go out to sea without any backup, then that's down to the person in the boat and not the make of the motor, the reason I don't pull the heads off on some and I can do it myself, is the round tank heads and gaskets are not readily available.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Thank you all for advice re my problems.
Reckon I should open my own repair shop having learnt so much and of course the different attitudes and expectations
No wonder we all can;t agree on squat.
Anyway my last statement on this.
I ran the syphon enhanced century an hour back without the syphon and it seened it appeared to run reasonable but what impressed me was that after 20 mins or so at 1/2 throttle in the tank without a prop I was able to hold my hand on the block , opposite side to the carb for any period of time .Try that with my old German chainsaw and you have got roast pork fingers for supper.
So even if the water does'nt run as well as my LLS this surely now is a good sign.
Gonna run with it, but keep my mind fully open to possible major surgery if so indicated.
I hope I can repay the favour sometime.
Cheers.
woodbutchergraham

Post by woodbutchergraham »

Mr Grumpy
Seagull maintenance can be split in three ways.
1) Those who strip the engine after every outing. Slight obsessive but that’s what happens when you inhale too much semi- burnt 10;1mix
2) Those who follow the manufactures instructions. Never removing the head on the 40 as that’s what it says
3) Lastly the most common type from the bay the ones who run the engine with the wrong mix, never flush out, drain the gearbox and replenish with the correct oil, Change the plug, check or clean the points.

Most of us buy a number three move on to number two with the help from John and the contributors of this site. At present I’m at the stage between one and two and use far too much polish for some, you have to love these engines. I’m sure I have covered most of the owners I have met.
If there’s someone iv missed don’t hesitate to add it !
Life is what you make it, and what you make could change your life.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Another final word.
Thank you Woodbutchergraham for everything.
Other additional things I have learnt are that the policy " never take the head off" really means "never take the head off unless you do so carefully and with expert advice " and that , like all outboards Seagulls too are prone to water problems.
Mind you, heaps less problems than most.
I now have to take the head off one of my seagulls just to know what its all about.2012.
May someone shine down on you for xmas mate.
And i'm not Orstralian.
cheers, jim.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Grumpy wrote:Gidday to all.
Grumpy wrote:May someone shine down on you for xmas mate.
And i'm not Orstralian.
cheers, jim.

Where are you from then Jim?

You can post your location in your profile.
H-A
woodbutchergraham

Thanks Jim it’s my intention to make at least one of 2012 meets. I wouldn’t mind doing the Hayling island trip but I’m sure that my 2.9m inflatable would not fit the rules. I want to meet up with some of the guys this coming year. I was looking forward to the SD meet this year up north that never was. But work commitments meant that one went out the window for me any way. So spend your time wisely rebuild your engines for the coming season and I look forward to meeting all in 2012.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Just a final final message.
I got impatient, angry , inquisitive and impatient again so I went down to the shed and ripped the head off my troublesome siver century.
It came off a dream.
There is some gunk but only up against the gasket a few mm's thick.
I obviously have been very lucky so I'm gonna (famous last words) slow down before I decide whether to refresh the old gasket or wait until 12Jan before I can get a new one.
Best Xmas present ever.
I might take the old girl down to KFC for a once in a lifetime treat to celebrate.
Good grief, why don't you all toss down some brown ale or something a bit flasher.
I'd shout but I'm too far away.
Cheers.
woodbutchergraham

Like I said Jim these little engines get under your skin. When there’s something to be done, it has to be done. You have been lucky with your head, the bolts are notoriously stubborn and unpredictable. Do yourself a favour replace the bolts in stainless steel John will no doubt have all you want in stock. Whiles you have the head off de-coke the head and piston top ( I like to polish them) take lots of photos ad post them for us all to see :P .
Have a great Christmas all the best Graham