102 blocks access plugs?

Post by Niander101 »

102 blocks some have a nut/plug in the sides to access the waterway
Do the earlier ones have these nuts/plugs in the sides
or is it pot[sorry] luck?
skyetoyman

Re: 102 blocks access plugs?

Post by skyetoyman »

the long 102 blocks have plugs fitted. Short block 102 ie SD's don't. Could be a casting thing.
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

A and C motors have the brass screw in plugs. So do the AD and AC series. The plugs are the same item as the early oil filler plugs. Some have been replaced with a hex head screw plug, which is a plumbing fitting.

Maybe access to the waterways was seen as important when the long water jacket block was introduced. After the brass ones there were some 'ordinary' expanding steel core plugs.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Interesting, I have a TC block, it had the steel core/welsh plugs which are now out for acid bath. They knocked out easily.

Thing is, I have a problem finding replacements down here?

I have Elto blocks in the same position, no plugs, and getting them is a B?&ch as well.

It is basically doing the ask for and having a young dude with His/Her Iphone in both ears trying to understand basic English of what I am after..........in the correct shop/supplier mind you.

Now when exactly does one get grumpy and do his nut at a parts counter i may well ask.

I do not want to get on any news front page accused of being "Unreasonable" but "Unreasonable" may be very soon here

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
StephenRT

Post by StephenRT »

I recently modified a cylinder that had rusted and leaking steel core plugs. After removing the old plugs I was able to drill and tap the holes to ¾ BSF and fit brass plugs from a scrap cylinder. As a bonus I was able to remove a surprising amount of rust and scale.
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

Good job...
much more convenient
pity they stopped the idea
to save costs i suppose
Taspiper

Post by Taspiper »

Collector Inspector wrote:Interesting, I have a TC block, it had the steel core/welsh plugs which are now out for acid bath. They knocked out easily.

Thing is, I have a problem finding replacements down here?

I have Elto blocks in the same position, no plugs, and getting them is a B?&ch as well.

It is basically doing the ask for and having a young dude with His/Her Iphone in both ears trying to understand basic English of what I am after..........in the correct shop/supplier mind you.

Now when exactly does one get grumpy and do his nut at a parts counter i may well ask.

I do not want to get on any news front page accused of being "Unreasonable" but "Unreasonable" may be very soon here

B
Probably see me on the front page too...
Seems that it's becoming harder to get anything that was once available anywhere anymore.
Don't start me on a saw set I wanted the other day. (not a set of saws either)
Unfortunately no one wants to start at the bottom now and get any decent experience behind them so instead we now have idiots employed behind the counters. Not to mention the idiots employing the idiots behind the counter.
The world is becoming a very sad place rather quickly.

How about turning up some plugs if stuck for size? Been done before now...
Cheers Rolf.

www.acmeengineering.com.au
www.rolfhey.com
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Hey guys ive been lurking for a while and now have something to post ,
I am currently doing up two TC 102 model seagulls up at the moment and was wondering about how best to fill up these access holes , when I was wire brushing the block they seemed to disintergrate , and was wondering whats best to replace them with , also a bit off topic but when my oldman decided to strip one of my silver century seagulls ( he's an aircraft engineer ) he smashed off the carb intake from the block :lol: and I was wondering what is the best way to fix this, if anyone has had this problem before .
david

Post by david »

Tapping is a great idea, but I did once replace a core plug with a 2p coin, dished with a bal pein hammer. It never leaked.