Early Forty Minus (& Plus?)

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Gannet

Early Forty Minus (& Plus?)

Post by Gannet »

There has been some recent activity on this site in determining when the '...for the world' superseded the '...in the world' wording on the flywheel cover.
I am interested in the steering angle restriction. Early 40- and presumably 40+ appeared not to have the feature machined on the top of the drive shaft and the support bracket so as to limit the angle the motor could be turned for steering purposes.
When was the change made?
HPIM0040.JPG
The photo also shows the 3/8 BSF tapped hole in the drive shaft tube. What was this for? Has the tube been inherited from another model? When was it no longer machined?
Thanks,
Jeremy
Keith.P

Re: Early Forty Minus (& Plus?)

Post by Keith.P »

I think the 3/8 hole was for the gear lever stub.
The support bracket limit setup, seems to be on the later modification.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Thanks Keith,
What engines had the gear lever stub? Was this contemporary with this 40-?
When you say later modifivation, was this in the 1960s/
Thanks for the info.

Jeremy
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I don't now dates, its only what I have seen, the gear lever stub probably goes back to the first 102's, if not before that.
The later modification was probably in the 1960's, they have a plastic back transom mount that sits lower at the back to go with the change in drive tube design.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

You can see your motor's an older version, without looking at the number.
It has a brass tilt pin, now plastic, the brass tiller arm, now ally, the ally cover flywheel, now plastic and you should have a brass gearbox plug, now plastic.
Also a brass exhaust not ally.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Yes, indeed, and the round water inlet holes in lieu of slots (like FV/FVP). Although I am interested in when (serial nos. or dates) these changes occured, I am especially interested in when functional change like the steering angle limit was introduced. Do you think that perhaps they were introduced more or less together?
When you think of other non-functional changs, the tank ends and the long/short throttle lever are on the list. I expect experts on this site could add to this list.
Making a list is easier than my original question concerning the datal introduction of the changes.
Jeremy