Little Model 40/model 40

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Gannet

Little Model 40/model 40

Post by Gannet »

As an owner of an FV, I am interested in the slightly older F.
Can somebody tell me how an F differs from an FV.
Thanks.
Jeremy
charlesp

Re: Little Model 40/model 40

Post by charlesp »

The slightly older F was British Seagull's first attempt a a 'Little Model Forty'

Most of the motor was identical in all respects to the FV, but the cylinder head casting was a bit different, and most importantly it had a tiny Amal carburettor. This had a strange screw-adjustable choke.

They only made a few, and then changed to the more familiar FV (orVF) with the Villiers carburettor with which we are all familiar.

The 'V' in the model designation refers to the Villiers carburettor.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Here is a photo of one of the little fellers:
P8031452.JPG
The cylinder head fins are different, as I say, but I can't locate a good shot.

I can only imagine that a short run of 100 (that's all they made) had an interesting story behind it, but I guess we'll never know!
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

Love that carb 8)
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Thank you Charles for that information. I thought that there might be a greater difference.
I think the small light FVs (and Fs) are just right for a small boat tender.
Thanks again.
Jeremy
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

They are my favourite motors. They can be little so-and-so's to strip, and the threaded attachment to the water pump housing is the sort of thing you end up swearing at, but I love them.

I'm always a sucker for something cute. In other walks of life it has cost me dear.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Yes, I have stripped three drive shaft tubes off the pump housing. One just unscrewed without any trouble, another took a lot of effort, and I gave up on the other one as the end thread of the tube was damaging the thread in the housing.

I always wonder what the 'best' prop is for these FVs powering a light dinghy or inflatable. Is it the 3 or 4 bladed cloverleaf one; or indeed the later 4 bladed rectangular one. Any views? The weed collecting characteristics are first class on all of them!
Jeremy
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I like the cloverleaf ones. The shape pleases me, and they were after all designed for this motor. The straight bladed ones came later for the 64cc Forties
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Yes, but which is the most efficient/powerfull? Staying with the cute angle - I think it has got to be the 3 or 4 bladed cloverleaf - but which one?
Jeremy
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

The little forty has got to be the best seagull around :D The little tank, and clover leaf props are fantastic. Every seagull fan should have at least 1 FV. Best thing since sliced bread 8)
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Yes, although I have very limited knowledge of other models, I really like my FVs. They are nice and light and power my inflatable dinghy and my small pram dinghy very satisfactorly. Although the short central tiller looks unusual, I think ithe design works well, although the throttle cable routing is a bit problematic - the tilting tiller version is better in this respect.
Jeremy