HS2...who agrees with it?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

lakeviewlad

HS2...who agrees with it?

Post by lakeviewlad »

I realise this could be a controversial issue but WTF? :o Have the Gov gone crazy? England is on her knees and come the springtime it will look like Terminal 4 at Heathrow... :( I am Irish born but lived and worked in England for almost 12 years and absolutely loved the place and the people,and I am proud to say it. I lived in the Aylesbury area and know the Chilterns quite well.It beggars belief that the "powers that be" want to DESTROY the beautiful countryside for the sake of a few minutes of rail travel. I walked the disused railways around there many times and know that the basic infrastructure is already there,so why do they propose ruining the countryside? Personally I think it's a disgrace. All comments welcome.
Remember,dust and dirt are the enemies of all moving parts...keep your motor clean and it will repay you!
charlesp

Re: HS2...who agrees with it?

Post by charlesp »

I know we shouldn't really engage in politics here, but I have to say my reaction to the whole thing is - Why?

Is it that important that the rail travel between Lndon and a couple of other points is made a little faster?

Who exactly stands to gain?

I'm with you, Lakeviewlad.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I live about a mile from the planned station that will sit between Derby and Nottingham. This station is then about a mile from where the new tram extension from Nottingam is now being built. However they are not connected! You can currently get a train from Derby or Nottingham in less than 2 hours, and HS2 will reduce this by about 15 minutes or so. Super.

HS2 is also going to tunnel under East Midlands airport, but no station.

Total waste of time, and we would be better putting that money in other infrastructure benefits, road, rail etc. Lets not start on about Heathrow being the "Central hub" for the UK. :twisted:
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

Who will be able to afford the fares ?. MPs maybe ? Complete waste of money.
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Difficult not to be too political on this topic.
Difficult also as a general member of the public to have enough specific information or knowledge to be able to make a value judgement on this complex project. So we have to listen to people (some of whom have a louder voice than others):-

1 Politians, spin doctors, PR companies, lobbyists, think tanks with dodgy backers, the (right wing) media, railway companies, other companies who could be involved in the project and their paid representatives etc etc. All of whom are in favour.
OR
2. A professor of rail infrastructure from Imperial College (it might have beem Cambridge University) who stated that the money could be better employed in other areas of the rail system.

Who do you choose?
Who do you think has a hidden (or indeed an obvious) agenda?
denchen

Post by denchen »

HS2 will allow some who can afford it to move further away from London, as to commute is only based on acceptable time travelling. I can see the government spending good public money on the project and then the rail companies putting the prices up for the high speed services so `the ordinary guy` cannot afford to use the service. As a guy who lives in a county that does not have a motorway I cannot see how it will help us all in the country. If a very high speed line from just outside London to Scotland with only a few stops, that is as fast as air travel, that is run by the government, that is cheaper than an air ticket, then to me it would make sense. Public money should be put into industry that will put money back into the country and put us back on our feet. This country can do it, Rolls Royce Aero. JCB. And others know how to do it and we have the best brains in many fields. The Chinese have said `this country is only good for education and as a holiday destination`. If those steering this country do not soon start doing their job and stop worrying about themselves then soon the chinese may soon be found to be right.