D9666 restoration

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

pat777

Re: D9666 restoration

Post by pat777 »

Ah, that's a shame, hope the right parts turn up for you. What's the difference between the core plugs with the hex head and the slotted head? Are they different threads or different sizes?

Cheers Pat
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

hi PAT.

well, after much confusion from some of our more "knowledgeable" members of this forum, it turns out that the slotted plug is the same as any of the older gearbox bungs with the course thread, as used on 40's and 100's. later being nylon and plastic.
the earlier hex head plugs have a much finer thread and were up till recently thought to have been a plumbing fitting.
this, as we have all found out is not the case.
BS did actually use these on their 102 models up till about 1950. (SD's and slightly earlier marston 102's had a different cylinder without any plugs)
from 1950 onwards till i guess 56/57, the slotted plug was used.(d9666 we think is 1946, so- very early for a peacetime 102. still trying to confirm this)
and from then on until the production of 102's finished some time in the early 1980's, the cylinders had the pressed in type.

very interesting what you can find out in just a few weeks!

jon
pat777

Post by pat777 »

headdownarseup wrote:hi PAT.

well, after much confusion from some of our more "knowledgeable" members of this forum, it turns out that the slotted plug is the same as any of the older gearbox bungs with the course thread, as used on 40's and 100's. later being nylon and plastic.
the earlier hex head plugs have a much finer thread and were up till recently thought to have been a plumbing fitting.
this, as we have all found out is not the case.
BS did actually use these on their 102 models up till about 1950. (SD's and slightly earlier marston 102's had a different cylinder without any plugs)
from 1950 onwards till i guess 56/57, the slotted plug was used.(d9666 we think is 1946, so- very early for a peacetime 102. still trying to confirm this)
and from then on until the production of 102's finished some time in the early 1980's, the cylinders had the pressed in type.

very interesting what you can find out in just a few weeks!

jon
Ah sure we all get a bit confused every now and then, the more "knowledgeable" members have a lot of seagull information that they have to remember, I guess we can't expect them to know the answer to all the questions we ask when we put them on the spot.

That's some good information you've managed to research there jon. I guess that means my 102 with the mk3 electronic ignition AD338**L (1953/1954) has also had it's cylinder replaced with a newer one with the pressed in core plugs. (1950- 1956/57) slotted plug.

Cheers Pat
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

hi pat
yes it would seem so.
seems quite a common theme with seagulls of all sizes really that the more you use them, eventually something is going to break or wear out.
block changes throughout the model range over the years is just one of those anomolies?
i think its fairly reasonable to assume that if you started with an older model seagull, a 102 for example, from the early 50's with the slotted core plugs, then used the motor for 10 years, servicing every year, it will reach the stage where it needs rebuilding. so the next logical step would be to source a replacement block from BS along with new rings , gaskets etc. 10 more years has passed with annual servicing etc and on it goes again?
or you could in those days at least, walk into the seagull factory and have your motor "refurbished" (hence the letter R that you sometimes see in the serial number)
that is until someone like us come along and try to restore it back to how it SHOULD LOOK LIKE! sometimes easier said than done i know.
but isn't that half the fun of these old engines?

i hope your rebuilding is going ok for you.

jon
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

well well well?

i think i've managed to score another block with hex head core plugs.
i'll have to wait for about 6 weeks or so until my buddy can bring it over to me.
keep you posted on that one.

some good progress at last.

next issues to sort out are that corroded gearbox and pump housing so it's out with the welder.

stay tuned

jon
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

just has a message back from my buddy to confirm the replacement block has hex head core plugs.

FANTASTIC (sighs of relief all round)
back on track with the restoration.

keep you updated when it gets here!

jon