The best way to get back home

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Keith.P

Re: The best way to get back home

Post by Keith.P »

The round tanks on the FV/P's look nicer, but not that practical as they don't hold much fuel.
Your's would have had a metal fuel pipe, most probably like this LS, a nice motor to have.
What type of impeller has it got?
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Why does that motor have jumper leads attached?

Secret weapon maybe?

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Keith,
Yes, the round tanks are very small. What I found last week with FV2821 was a huge difference in fuel consumption between full throtlle and half throttle of very approx 75%. Not really surprising, and of course there was very little difference in boat speed. It meant that the useable rang on a full tank was very acceptable. I previously had a tendency just to keep the throttle on full - not very clever on consumption and according to my wife on noise level as well!
Do you think that the FVPs with their bigger, slower prop need a bigger (or smaller?) throttle opening for a given speed?
Petrol pipes - did all LS have the single loop metal pipe?
Magneto covers - do both your FVPs have the 'In' cover?
I would be interested in the spec of their carbs - presumably 7/16 and with throttle stops?

jeremy
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I got off my bum and they are all 7/16, the LS has the logo in the flywheel, and the older FVP had it, but it was too far gone to keep on the motor.
I think the loop was early on in the production, as it went on, it may have changed to the U shape, as it saves on material, why have a loop anyway, that's my thought.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Keith, yes, the loop does not perform much use, apart from a slightly more flexibility in alignment, but I consider it to be potentially a water and dirt trap - although I know it can cleaned out with the correct technique.
Do you think that the 'In' covers were introduced much later than your FVPs - perhaps around the LS introduction? What is the serial number of your LS?
Jeremy
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

jeremy
"double looped" petrol pipes are indeed a dirt trap.
as you know, i have one fitted to my fv, i like the aesthetics though!
interestingly with regards to my "other" fv (in bits that you now have the serial number to) originally came with the "U" shaped pipe in metal.(original or not who knows)

i'm going to throw something out there with regards to the "in the world" magneto cover and say that maybe BS changed to "for the world" at around 56/57. only by looking at serial numbers and general specs of individual motors can we be almost certain.
alternatively you could ask the guru of all things "little model 40" i.e charles (the all knowing one)

going back to goo or scum in the test tank, urgh! i've started using a little tfr (traffic film remover) very very diluted obviously with a touch of car shampoo/wax. again not too much otherwise you just end up with suds everywhere!
seems to do the trick at keeping corrosion to a minimum.

glad to hear that you had a good week on the boat.
i've been out on mine last friday for a bit of fishing with the boys.
got my thumb bitten by a pike! (ouch, lots of blood) :shock:
conclusion= 6 in my boat is 2 too many, especially as i spent most of the day un tangling fishing lines! :roll:

jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The only possible reason I can think of, for fitting the looped fuel pipe would be to change the natural frequency that a bent pipe might vibrate at on an FV, so avoiding the risk of fracture caused by metal fatigue.

As they were made from copper (a not inexpensive material) I can't believe that Seagull would increase the manufacturing costs without a valid reason.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Hi guys,

This FV has the aluminum pump rotor and a 7/16 carb with the drain hole in the side. The choke doesn't have a hole and it also doesn't have a throttle stop.

Happy to hear that you have a nice week of boating Jeremy!
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Jon, Glad you had some good fishing, although it seems the fish didn't entirely lose - blood lost on both sides! Sounds like a scoring draw!
i was more interested in when the 'In' cover was introduced, rather than when it was discontinued - as it is possible that it was introduced during the FV/LS production, but I don't know. The U bend petrol pipe, I think was possibly introduced in the late FV/FVP, but I don't really know.
Stelios, Thanks for the info on your new FV acquisition. As it runs so well, it would be really useful to measure some of the port timing as described by Charles L. Does it have any 'blow back on full throttle? I would be interested in the compression figure - is it about 60psi?

Jeremy
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

I will measure the compression after assembling. Now the leg is separated from the power head. About the port timing I think I can't help. I am planning not to remove the head and cylinder. It was pumping loads of water, no high temperatures and I found a very clean water pump housing.

Blow back, you mean backfires? If so I think I didn't have any. Even if I didn't let it run full throttle for a long time. Perhaps I should try that again.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

No high temps on the block while "discharging" heaps of water means probably good to use.

By all means leave the head on unless the above measurements require etc.

My SJP is getting the works but only a run with monitoring temps will cause me to take the head off. It should be under load next weekend by the way.

I use a electronic laser thermometer to check such things.

You get to know what is acceptable after a while.

Good works so far S

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Stelios_Rjk

FV19309

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

I cleaned and painted the power head. There is a nice coat of zinc or tin on the cylinder. I applied a coat of primer and two coats of paint.

To be continued...
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

After making a fuel pipe everything was ready for the platter. I will have them ready in a week :D :D

The fittings that follow were on the engine. Are those original? I didn't touch them but it looks a bit odd.
Any ideas?

Now I am looking for a correct backplate or even a correct complete ignition. If there is any available drop me a message please.

Thanks
:)
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Stelios, those fittings are common when fitting a flexible hose, they can be cut off if you are soldering a solid pipe on.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Hi Stelios, what type of pipe bender do you use? Time to invest in one me thinks :D Photo?