Post by headdownarseup »

now updated
thanks.

jon
headdownarseup

Re: data on 102 motors

Post by headdownarseup »

17 on the list now!

Still need a lot more if we're going to be able to try and work some things out.

I'm working on a revised "questionaire" which will be backed up by a series of photos, specific to each area of interest. Hopefully this should speed things up a bit. (i may need to pm a few members for specific photos of parts that i don't have)
Just working out a few of the finer details before i get going with it fully.

jon
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

Send me the sheet again, I have a New TC to add.

TC77452
lovingly cared for by a gentleman, in Kyogle NSW but now transferred into my care.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

hi ANDREW
thats good news!
refer to page 1 of this topic (reply no.7) for the relevant information.

in due course i will be completely updating this "questionaire" which will also have a number of photographs that will hopefully best describe what i/we need to know.
bear with me, this takes quite a while :)

jon
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

OK now for the questionnaire>>>
14 dote points: I will answer in sequence (not in sequins) were letters are used ie 2a and 2b it means that two or more questions were asked in one dot point

1) AD19647
2a Slotted..
2b extra marks 3 pattern # casting
3 Seagull Pattern...Amal no choke
4a brass
4b screw top
4c original ( large seagull)
5a brass
5b chromed
6 aluminium
7a none original fuel pipe
7b 90"
8 turn up stamped Amal
9a round head brass
9b mag cover plain
9c short
9d brown
9e without
9f cross
10a hollow; bronze
10b aluminium
10c aluminium
11a holes; 9 (3-3-3)
11b nipples 1 port
11c direct
12 out back at 30" from horizontal.. Has a hole for clutch rod but this is a direct drive Conclusion same casting and machining jig used in production
13 Bow tie 10'

Additional Villiers pattern marks, 5121 opposite M2053B stamped R63/A61M/10-50

If you need any additional or clarification PM

AJ
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

hi AJ

7a and 12 are a little sketchy!
90 degree fitting on the fuel pipe is that black or clear plastic? (and which do you class as original?)
(12) sounds like you have the "sub ejector" pump housing. the "bowtie" prop is spot on for this motor and vintage.

the pump housings (either the SD type or the later "sub ejector") all had a hole drilled for the clutch rod, so didn't matter if the motor was direct drive or clutch. one pump housing fitted numerous motors throughout the range so from around (i think late 49 early 50) the "sub ejector" pumphousing was fitted along with the "bow tie" prop until the introduction of the TD and TC motors. (data will prove one way or another)
the pump housings changed again i think in the 60's (possibly around the same time as the wipac ignition was introduced)

i'm seeing patterns slowly emerging with these earlier motors.
some are obvious and some not so obvious.

as it stands at the time of typing this, i have data on around 20 or so AD,AC's
what we're missing is ED,EC,EHC TC,TD (already got 1 THC but need some more) WC,WD,WHC and any "specials" made after 1973 (ish) which was supposed to be the end of production for 102's.
there must be umpteen thousands still kicking around in regular use.
looking forward to getting some more on the list. :)

jon
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Re Point 7. The fuel pipe fitted is definitely a modern Composite rubber hose. What came off was a braded material hose, but even that may not have been original as the material is subject to degrading and may have been changed many times. I would only be confidant if a metal fuel pipe existed on an engine of that age. anything else will almost certainly be changed/replaced in it life time.

Point 12 basically agree with your comment above.. It is a sub ejector.

AJ
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

more pics will follow on certain parts.

bear with me, i'm a bit busy this end trying to do 15 things at once?

:D

jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Picked up an evil old thing for 5 quid. Not much is original but what I gleamed from this twisted pile of corrosion and rust:

TC 83504 1962?

Welsh plugs. Remains of plastic water pipe. Later style Ali tiller handle. Non original carby is god knows what. Non original direct drive box.
Villiers magneto. Bit of excitement here. Some numbers on the side of flywheel punched upside down R82A80 8/62 A date!! Or is the second coming of Christ? Plain cover (wrong I think) Fat nut.

Hollow G clamps on transom bracket. No V strut (again :evil: ). Plastic thrust block. 2 notch engine support lug.
TC83504.JPG
Hair line crack :lol: . Also another way of fixing a welsh plug!
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

This is not the ebay special with the victa vc160 carb with the plastic blade, is it?
It went cheap in your neighborhood, was going to send you the link, but it just looked beyond saving.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Hugz there's a perfect illustration of why we go on & on about flushing well, after salt or brackish water use & if it's precious, it might be best to avoid anything other than 100% fresh water.

I've probably got 10 cylinders in the rubbish box at least as *****d as that one, from every variety up to & not including the 170's & QUB's, that I've been saving for a group photo.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

HUGO
thats a parts motor if ever i saw one?
there must be at least some useful bits left on it.

totally agree with CHARLES, if it at all precious to you then STAY AWAY FROM THE SALTY STUFF!
if you have to use a seagull in brackish or saltwater then use a later model century/century plus.(which i think you're already doing are'nt you?)
save the 102's for best.

funny how you seem to end up with brackets that dont have the "V" tilt support.

still, 5 quid aint bad! cheap as chips

jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

THCL500J8 wrote:This is not the ebay special with the victa vc160 carb with the plastic blade, is it?
It went cheap in your neighborhood, was going to send you the link, but it just looked beyond saving.
Yep that's the one.
Charles uk wrote:Hugz there's a perfect illustration of why we go on & on about flushing well, after salt or brackish water use & if it's precious, it might be best to avoid anything other than 100% fresh water.

I've probably got 10 cylinders in the rubbish box at least as *****d as that one, from every variety up to & not including the 170's & QUB's, that I've been saving for a group photo.
I often consider whether running the motor dry after a fresh water flush would be advantageous to dry her out. The Australian Riptide recommends this in their handbook.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Yes I do that!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

headdownarseup wrote:HUGO
thats a parts motor if ever i saw one?
there must be at least some useful bits left on it.
funny how you seem to end up with brackets that dont have the "V" tilt support.
still, 5 quid aint bad! cheap as chips
jon
The bracket will restore well and do like the hollow ones over the later G's. Magneto is complete including brass cover over points. Propeller has 102 stamped on it. Plus other bits and pieces. The tank and mounts are reasonable. Cap is seized on at present. I think the secret is to pull it to pieces and then discard the junk otherwise we end up with a whole bunch of deteriorated motors.