Wartime Seagulls

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

charlesp

Wartime Seagulls

Post by charlesp »

Hi everyone. I'm trying to find any surviving photos of the British Seagull factory on the Quay in Poole during the Forties and Fifties.

Can anyone help? I'm also trying to trace hard information as to the use of these motors during the war. Anyone got any photos or reminiscences they'd care to share?

One more - has anyone out there any information about the MARVIL stationary engines produced as a cooperative venture between Villiers and Marston's during the late thirties? Any links or photos most gratefully received charlespalfreeman (at) tiscali(dot) co(dot) uk
trw999

Post by trw999 »

I remember having seen the Royal Engineers manning a pontoon bridge spanning a river. The track was laid across several rafts (empty hulls?), each of which was keeping station via a Seagull placed on the hull. The direction of thrust was obviously against the flow of the river.

I saw this on a black and white film, though can not remember where or when. I shall try.....!

Tim
Jim Bailey

Pictures of Seagull factory

Post by Jim Bailey »

Charles P
You might try the archives of local newspapers or any periodicals circa that time, Jim
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Thanks Jim. I have already trodden that route, with very little success I'm afraid. The local paper have been most helpful, but it appears the Seagull Factory on the Quay was, well, just a sort of shed with no aesthetic value, so nobody snapped it. Of course looking away from it there are thousands of photos.

There's also the fact tht in 1939 anyone with a camera around a port just might have found themselves in the chokey!

Periodicals - yes - I spent a few days at IPC magazines Archive here in Poole, and ended up with lots of stuff I'd never seen before, and sore fingers too. I read all the way through from about 1928 to the mid sixties, which is a lot of page turning!

I am however having some success with a display at the local library, with more planned. A few people ring me and have something useful. But the best was a letter in Classic Boat which brought forth a wealth of good stuff.

Thanks anyway!
Alan G

Wartime Seagulls

Post by Alan G »

:lol:
Charles Have you tried the Royal Engineers Museum, Prince Arthurs Road Gillingham. They had a wealth of information about the D day landings and I recall seeing pictures of pontoon with seagulls attached as well as recce boats in later years.
The other source of information may be the Institution of Royal Engineers. I am no longer a member but I have attached the secretary's address and they have a small website corps.secretary@inst-royal-engrs.co.uk

My own memories from the 60's are of dragging a seagull & recce boat across Scotland along the forth & clyde canal in a race against other units in the area. Needless to say the Sappers won but not me unfortunately.

Regards, Alan Gordon
Alan L Gordon
Jim Bailey

Seagulls roost

Post by Jim Bailey »

Charles: I would appreciate being kept in the loop if you do get some pictures. I am a Limey and have lived in Canada and the US since '56
I had my 1st 'gull just two years before that. An avid collector, and a huge affection for these motors.
Jim
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Jim I have sen you pm
steveandharry
Post by steveandharry »

Hi All, I'm a servng Royal Marine based at Hamworthy, Poole. I'll gladly approach the Royal Engineers for you to see what they have. I'll also look at the Landing Craft museum at Poole as the Corps used seagulls also.

Regards
Steve