Sunday Cruising

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Adrian Dale

Sunday Cruising

Post by Adrian Dale »

Just taken the LS out for a Sunday run. Now I know Jon and Jeremy will tell me not to take them in salt water but I don't have anything else and any way it was a ripper of a day and I couldn't resist.

Few photos.... In reverse order

It was a great day over 20 miles covered on two trips first with the LS, 15 miles in a bit over 3 hours engine running followed by a run around the bay with Allegra, my partner, in the evening glass off with a Century.

Interesting that both engines maintained the same speed but the LS was the more economical with its 4 blade clover leaf ( thanks again Chris) against the 5 blade hydrofan; also Jon, the gearbox was spot on, used the Strom MP oil with outstanding results. checked it tonight before flushing and wiping down with an oily rag and found a good clean emulsion.

My advice if you've got a Gull use it the results are amazing!

AJ
Attachments
An evening putter
An evening putter
low tide at the boat ramp
low tide at the boat ramp
On the home beach
On the home beach
LS 1840 at full Throttle
LS 1840 at full Throttle
Ten miles distant the destination across Great Taylor's Bay and the D'Entrecasteux Channel
Ten miles distant the destination across Great Taylor's Bay and the D'Entrecasteux Channel
Last edited by Adrian Dale on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Collector Inspector

Re: Sunday Cruising

Post by Collector Inspector »

:)

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

Wonderful to see a seagull in its proper environment, being enjoyed as it should.

Could you please share for all OZ seagullers were we can get Shell Strombus oil, in small amounts? under 200 liters.
Thank you.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Adrian
Well done. You cannnot beat the early 40s Seagulls- although others might suggest other models! Great photos- nice to see a bit of summer weather. Sound as if you have had a good time, plus your new oil appears to be the right spec.
I am quite content to use my Seagulls in salt water. That is not a problem. That is what I do all summer. Like you I flush them in fresh water when I take them home. Also for storage I put dewatering oil in the block. I would then expect them not to have corrosion problems for another 60+ years!
Jeremy
Chrisc161076

Post by Chrisc161076 »

Nice :P
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Re Strombus MP It is available from Shell direct but I got mine from Blackwoods in Hobart. They got it in from Shell depot in Adelaide. smallest quantity they will supply is 20 litres.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

ADRIAN
Glad to hear the LS has finally got to stretch its legs.
Also nice to hear that i can still put together a decent gearbox!

Dont listen to JEREMY. I have nothing against using any seagull in the salt. (except perhaps a 102 as you cant exactly get inside them easily)

I have been thinking about getting or even making a smaller boat so i can use some of my smaller motors. It's not just 102's i have, i've also got LS's,FV's,SJM,SJP,late model F,EGF, and a few centuries (old and new) to choose from.

I'm only jealous that i'm not there with you. :D

Lovely part of the world you live in ADRIAN.

jon
Mike Killay

Post by Mike Killay »

Could you please tell what boat you have, size and type of floor?
Mike
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Jon,
'Don't listen to Jeremy'.!?
You know that I reckon salt water (with a flush out afterwards) is not a problem for Seagulls.
Use them - on salt or fresh water.
Jeremy
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

Yep wont bother me how can salt remain when its well flushed through with fresh water.
should be using my gulls next year...am looking for a smaller boat also as my yacht is too big but will stick the 102 barge pusher on the stern and see how he gets on.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

The boat is a 3.5 meter Aristocrat C rated with inflated keel and three separate inalterable tubes. Floor is slatted aluminium. Its not the quality of an Avon or Zodiac but is a good little runabout.

Thought that might get a few of you dreaming about net summer now we have passed the winter solas. I always flush after use with a few minutes run in a drum before they go back on the rack.

Nice collection Joh
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

JEREMY
you know i was joking (dont you?)

What i was trying to say is that ALL seagulls (newer and older) can and should be used frequently whether in salt or fresh water.
Maintenence and long term useage in the salt (particularly with the 102's) can start to cause problems with waterflow depending on how vigilant the user is with their preventative measures.

I'm not against using a seagull in the salt, BUT not all owners are up to speed with how quickly things can change. (out of sight, out of mind) or (it was alright when i put it away in the shed 5 years ago when i last used it.)

We keep saying FLUSH FLUSH FLUSH after every use (not everybody does) and we've all seen what happens when we dont.
Some of the more frequent members on here do keep up with regular servicing/maintenence. A-J for one,has no choice but to use his seagulls in the salt.
Hats off to you A-J for keeping your flock going.

jon
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Jon, I fell for that one!

One of the advantages of the FV/FVP/LS over the 102 is that you can get at the corrosion so much easier!
A bit of a back handed compliment to the early 40s.
Jeremy
Mike Killay

Post by Mike Killay »

Thanks Adrian.
I have a 2.4 meter at the moment but find it too small.
Mike