which one?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

erik0905

which one?

Post by erik0905 »

what model is the most popular over the years, I can see at ebay that the most on auction, is the silver century, so one could get the idea, that they are the most common ones. I dont know the differences between the models, but I am trying to learn. Perhaps i have to buy one of each to know.
think ahead of doing
http://www.baadside.dk/
Erik
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Buying one of each is exactly what I thought I'd do when I started being addicted to these delightful things a couple of years ago.

I soon realised that not counting the long and short shaft options I would have to find over seventy different motors to have a nearly complete collection. I have abandoned that idea!

Then I reckoned that one of each power head may be the answer. But after buying a forty plus (1959) a forty minus ( a little earlier) came up, so I had to have that one. Then a little model forty (1950). Then a forty super plus (a bit later). Forties are a weakness with me, and every time an early one comes to my attention it has a minor difference from any that I already have. Or it's a little better...

I'm even worse with 102s..

Then I reckoned to only collect stuff that had a Villiers magneto to cut it down a bit (nothing after 1968)

None of my self imposed disciplines have worked at all, and all my friends know that I just can't resist, and look pityingly upon me.

But I did manfully resist the Canford Magna Boat Jumble today, and didn't give it a thought. I stayed blissfully confident that I would miss nothing of any significance, and I thought my addiction was under control.

Do I regret staying away? Yes dammit I do - another reader of these boards did go to that same event, and phoned me to let me know about his bargain rarity when he got home. I shall not miss another!

So beware any thoughts of buying one of each!
Duane A.

Post by Duane A. »

Yes Charles,
You are a man after my own heart. I have sixteen in my garage/shop now and keep looking for another to add to my flock. I bought most of them for less than per pound scrap metal prices back when. I have a weakness for the little ones and the 102’s myself. I have only found one newer 102 here and would like a couple of older ones more if possible. The older 102’s are a hard piece of work for one to find in the U.S. I would love to get a war-time 102 with the wonderful brass fittings in my group of gulls. I always keep an eye open for one here along with a Marston. An Olympic like the one John calls a tarted up engine on his site would also be a great thing to find when I wouldn’t have to pay the outrageous shipping from down under or England. I always do my best to hit the marine flea markets and boatyard sales (Boat jumbles). You just never know what will turn up for a Seagull fanatic!
Great Gulling,
Duane
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Hello Erik et al.

Very broadly there is the Forty Plus - 64cc - with all its variants, which is probably the most ubiquitous model, then there is the Forty Featherweight - 64 cc- again with all its variants, the Centurys - 102cc, and the '102's. Then there are the very late ones which includes the 170's Curlews etc. You can see the whole variety elsewhere on this site.
Like the previous replies to your question, we probably accumulate whatever comes along, but then find certain ones have more appeal.
I have certainly done this, andnow tend to concentrate on the 102's and the early Featherweights - the Forty Minus and Little Model 40.
What you decide to collect is based on either : what comes along, what size of boat you want a motor to push, or what appeals to you. Rick.
erik0905

Post by erik0905 »

RickUK wrote:Hello Erik et al.

Very broadly there is the Forty Plus - 64cc - with all its variants, which is probably the most ubiquitous model, then there is the Forty Featherweight - 64 cc- again with all its variants, the Centurys - 102cc, and the '102's. Then there are the very late ones which includes the 170's Curlews etc. You can see the whole variety elsewhere on this site.
Like the previous replies to your question, we probably accumulate whatever comes along, but then find certain ones have more appeal.
I have certainly done this, andnow tend to concentrate on the 102's and the early Featherweights - the Forty Minus and Little Model 40.
What you decide to collect is based on either : what comes along, what size of boat you want a motor to push, or what appeals to you. Rick.
Hello Rick and thanks for the answer, and the 2 puzzles. (et al. and ubiquitous ) I will never be a collector, I will buy a motor, restore it, use it for it's purpose, and if someone (unlikely ) would like to buy it, sell it and buy an other one. But I would like to see a big collection.
Thanks for all other answers :D
I will try to build a site www.baadside.dk but it's not up yet
think ahead of doing
Erik
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Hello Erik - I thought afterwards 'ubiquitous' might puzzle you!! Means found everywhere - most common etc.

et al is good old latin means 'and all'

Sounds like you will end up with a lot of Seagulls! A fun hobby - do you have a boat or boats to play with the outboards??

Rick
erik0905

Post by erik0905 »

thanks for the explenation, yes I have a boat, will be seen at my site very soon.
think ahead of doing
Erik
Charles UK

Erik's site

Post by Charles UK »

Erik I've just visited your site & just love the shape of you clinker dingy, reminisent of the viking long ships, that would look very good with a 102 on the back.
Could you put the text on your sit in English & Danish, as we English are famous for only just being able to manage our own language & the vast majority of Seagull users seem to have this as a first or second choice.
Don't leave that boat on the trailer as I would be very tempted to steal it, if I could get it on the car ferry.

Charles UK
erik0905

Post by erik0905 »

yes it's a nice dinghy, and to night I hope, I vil be able to show my big clinker on the site, it has a build in BMC 1500 ccm diesel and from 1978. It has been on, but I lost a number of photos, making this site, forgetting to think before i did something stupid. I am not sure I will be able to make an english text, my english i probaply not good enough to du that, and how many english speeking people will see my site. But as it's my birthday very soon, I could make a wish for a dictionary. :wink:
I have allredy asked the forum for photos related to our motors, and perhaps the surroundings the motors are working in. Did not recieve non yet.
think ahead of doing
Erik
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

Erik - I will send you some working pictures from my flock from the office today - have two long conference calls where I am stuck to the computer, so that will be an excellent time!

Does your email button work or can you send me your email?

I am at catigale (at) nycap (dot) rr (dot) com

Stephen
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop