Testing

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Adrian Dale

Testing

Post by Adrian Dale »

After watching the Chinese "how to" video this morning and thinking I need a bigger test tank I went into the workshops and realised, in front of my eyes was the perfect setup, a 6meter long 1.6meter deep by 1 meter wide mechanical pit fitted with side rails. The pit is fully sealed as it sits partly below the natural ground water level and has a sump and pump for drainage.

The rails are perfect to mount a free wheeling carriage large enough to carry all sizes of engines and easily accessible by overhead crane. The concrete surround will make a solid foundation for a dynameter and wallah! a test tank purpose built for assessing bollard pull.

I appreciate that a static pull is not entirely accurate but it would provide very accurate comparisons between engines and various prop and gearbox combinations.

My main problem is that the mechanical pit is in regular use for machinery maintenance, trucks, tractors, bobcats and the like so I have a priority clash.

But leaving aside the requirement for change of use, can anyone see any problems in this approach?

Slightly stir crazy, AJ
Attachments
Mechanical Pit
Mechanical Pit
Rob Ripley

Re: Testing

Post by Rob Ripley »

Looks good to me
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

NO probs if a WEelee bin will work...That will... looks like a good idea.
Will be interesting to see the comparison results.
You don't want the Gulls too low down...for your back!
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

You might have to ask the question "is it structurally capable of holding & supporting around 9 cubic metres of water"?

Does anyone on your Island have a Horse exercise pool?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

I built is Charles; its 9 inches thick with three layers of reed bar. The bottom has close to 12 inches of concrete all vibrated into the moulds; one thing it will do is hold the pressure both from the outside, ground water, and the inside if I decide to fill it!!! Could also put a flow pump in and turn it into a continuous lap pool... pity I cant swim!!

No horses just wallabies and they don't swim very well either!!!

AJ
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Ah!

Wallabies will lead any one of normal thinking astray in the end...........depth .........and.........width.......length (What. Wallabies are 2 dimensional ) at a drop of a hat.

Sneaky.......... beware the Wallaby aye.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others