My first Seagulls

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusOB_Collector

My first Seagulls

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Hello all

Today I went on a 165km round trip to Barragup (suburb near Mandurah WA) to have a look at some seagulls that I was contacted about. At first glance they seem complete and one has the original spares book.
One is SJP22051 and the other SJP654H5, both 40 series if I am correct. The gentleman I purchased them from said that they had the original stand, which I got in the deal but that is questionable, has anyone ever seen a seagull outboard stand before?
The SJP654H5 is seized from sitting and the other's gearbox is locked up from the old oil/grease.
That one I think will run easily enough.

I will get some better pics when I get the hance.

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
notav8

Re: My first Seagulls

Post by notav8 »

Hi BP,
Looks like a good score with the Seagulls, and lucky to get the handbook also.
Im not sure about the Engine Stand, as it looks like a home made one to me, but I could be wrong.
Hopefully you will get them both going, with a little bit of TLC. Sometimes you get lucky with a seized engine, and it frees up easily, and sometimes its just for parts. Unfortuantely, Im becoming an expert on buying parts motors. :roll:
Cheers
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

8)

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusOB_Collector

Hello all

After working on both engines for my whole evening I have came to some conclusions - the partially restored SJP654H5 had it's water jackets filled with crud and rust and had water in the bore, and SJP22051's gearbox was full of old grease/oil and I am in the process of disassembling it to clean.
Im not sure about the Engine Stand, as it looks like a home made one to me, but I could be wrong.
I am still not 100% certain on the stand either, I will contact John of SOS about that.

Does anyone know how the prop shaft comes out of the gearbox?

Cheers
BP

Member SOS, AOMCI,
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

All the Seagull stands I've seen had 3 removable legs, the lighter models had aluminium legs & the heavyweight version, chromed steel, that were fitted to the motor board with 3 cast brackets with "Seagull" cast onto them.

I've not seen any evidence that they were sold to customers, (not mentioned in price lists or brochures) but were provided for distributors for display purposes.

If you search old threads I'm sure several pictures have been posted in the past.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
AusOB_Collector

Hello all

Having spent almost all of my weekend working on these 2 I now know where I stand.
My original plan was to strip down and correctly restore & repaint SJP654H5 and disassemble SJP22051 to clean and keep that one original. Up to this point, they have both been coming apart with a little fight, but I am now at the point where I need heat to remove some fittings, parts etc.
I am having some trouble sliding the chromed exhaust tube down on both of them as I have nothing to grip on to for leverage, would anyone be able to advise me of their methods for that?
All the Seagull stands I've seen had 3 removable legs, the lighter models had aluminium legs & the heavyweight version, chromed steel, that were fitted to the motor board with 3 cast brackets with "Seagull" cast onto them.
After some research I believe that the stand included in the deal with the Seagulls is not the original stand.

I will post pics shortly.

Cheers
BP

Member SOS, AOMCI,
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Jon has a good suggestion for removing exhaust tube. Providing you have removed drive shaft and gear box, bolt on a spare drive shaft and clamp it or stand on it and lever the exhaust tube back and forth until it comes loose. Haven't tried it myself but makes a lot of sense.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Congrats on the purchase Boyd. A couple of SJP's is a great way to open your Seagull account.

With a little time, patience and maybe a few parts, I'm sure you'll have those up and running.

Regards,
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Collector Inspector

Yes Boyd, very nice intro indeed.

Now take the time to relax and not get too carried away with "A Perfect Original Gull" aye.

Old motors take time and experience to get where you want to be with anything. Gull or not as there is a very wide world of Old Dears for the appreciation of.

Old machines need just the same amount of time to fettle as the amount of time to appear worthless and "A Rush To Rectify".

Not a big deal if rebuilds take a few years...........

Do you get my drift?

B
AusOB_Collector

Hello all

I spent all of yesterday disassembling the seagulls and now have 2 boxes full of parts.
SJP22051 has the gear that drives the prop shaft stuck in the gearcase housing which is restricting how far I can turn the engine over ( 1/8th of a turn either way). I will give it a soak in kerosene or diesel and see what works and if that may free it up so I can do spark and compression tests. The flywheel/magneto assembly dates (I think) to 1959.

The prop shaft is not bad for a 55 yr old motor -

SJP654H5 has its powerhead seperated from the leg and will be fully apart shortly - I now know that the piston is seized in the bore.

When the cylinder head came off at first -

After a little cleaning -

More coming soon!

Cheers
BP

Member SOS, AOMCI,
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Well done with your efforts so far.
It is only now that you can start to appreciate just how simple these little motors really are and why they corrode so much in certain areas!
A little bit of correctly applied maintenance once in a while will go a long way with these.

HEAT (and sometimes lots of it) will be your best buddy when stripping down an old engine like this.
Gearboxes dont usually give much trouble when stripping down, except perhaps the drive pinion, or a stubborn screw.
Dont be scared to heat the aluminium gearbox casing quite a lot to help "expand" the metal enough to drift out the pinion.
Arm yourself with a decent plumbers type blowtorch and some solid steel bar to act as a drift to push out the pinion.
Word to the wise here, before you start removing the pinion check to see how much play there actually is in the pinion! If it's still acceptable, then leave it alone. (it might just cause you more problems later on)
I often find that trying to seperate a gearbox from the pumphousing gives rise to a lot of cursing and swearing! :shock:
Once again, heat is your best buddy, although go carefully if your motor has an aluminium exhaust tube fitted.(dont want to melt that)
A gentle rock from side to side (sometimes twisting) while everything is still hot is normally enough to get things moving.
Only use a rubber hammer as a last resort.
Stick with it and you'll get there.

Help always on hand, just ask.

jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Do not use a steel drift when driving out the pinion shaft & bearing, brass or aluminium will save you running the risk of chipped teeth!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
AusOB_Collector

Hello All

After working over my weekend on the seagulls I am quite happy with what progress I have made -
SJP22051's gearbox has finally been removed with the help of a blow torch, which has confirmed my suspicions about the drive gear/pinion being seized in the top of the gearbox. With a squirt of 10/1 down the carburettor, she started on second pull and ran briefly! :P Very happy with that.
After the short run, compression was tested and read 80psi, isn't that a bit much for a 40+? :shock:

Pics will be added shortly.

Cheers
BP

Member SOS, AOMCI,
Collector Inspector

BP

Was a good 1st outboard meet on Saturday Aye.

I hope that this will be a start for a West Australian Collectors Association or similar. I believe that this is what you were indicating last week.

SG and Myself enjoyed your effort in getting an initial seven of us together in one shed. Sadly I had to help Laura and electrical in the afternoon.

I stood back and took pics after setting the scene and enthusiasm.

20150718_125723.jpg
My MapGas is now empty but the Gull is apart :P

Sadly "Mike The Pilot" and one of my 3.3Hp Muncies stayed in the boot that day.

Items to improve on:

Water supply.
A dedicated engine running area with some ventilation.
Real outboard tank.
Fire extinguisher!!!!!!

Nothing else required re "Enthusiasm"

As I said....."Summer Dry" at my place is cool. Tanks for running will be available.

B[/color]
redwitch21

Post by redwitch21 »

If you are doing a Western Australia thing... I am in Mandurah but can travel.

I have no idea what I am doing but my Seagull makes lots of noise once she goes, if that helps...

Roger P