Boat handling without neutral or reverse

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

polc1410
Boat handling without neutral or reverse

Post by polc1410 »

Sorry this may not strictly be a 'Seagull' issue its probably my lack of boat skills thats the issue! I've only ever used powerboats with clutches and reverse gears so last week when I was sea-trialling the new seagull I seemed to struggle with my "departure" technique... So wondering what I'm missing!

Basically in the picture below I have a sloping slipway, with tide/wind crossing it at about 35 degrees. To the western side of this (the picture is North Up) is a peir. Shallow water is a mixture of weed and rocks. There is a rope down the centre of the slipway to tie onto. Wading in as deep as my wellies allowed got the engine into deep enough water to start the engine. Had this been on a modern conventional engine I'd have started it in neutral, left it to tick over a few moments to warm up and probably with the engine in reverse and hard to port use it to pull the stern round clear of the shallows before slipping the painter , neutral drif back a couple of feet and hard to port move off forwards...
IMG_20150712_171218.jpg
With no neutral before I can even get the throttle to tickover shes pushed forward onto the slipway (dotted outline). Hard to port and starting didn't seem to work, she still pushed onto the slip and if you try hard enough the prop hit the slip too. So what should I have done? Fend offwith an oar? Hard single handed when trying to pull start. Longer Painter? But my painter is puposefully the same length as the bopat to stop prop fouling? Springs? Where and how and single handed am I stressing too much about all this rope going into my prop? Or row out and start at sea?

Was I just unlucky with my slipway and wind tide angle?
Oyster 49

Re: Boat handling without neutral or reverse

Post by Oyster 49 »

Personally I would row out to a point where it is safe to start the engine and wizz off.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Yep, row or pole out.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Always row or paddle out. One good point about this is you won't get out and discover you left the oars in the shed.... Enjoy your gull

AJ
Mike Killay

Post by Mike Killay »

It is good seamanship to row out. You have total control of the boat in a hazardous situation.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Yes row out!

Get away from anything that may get in ya way when initially going through the starting process and cleanly getting under controlled power........

Coming back to the boat ramp/shore will take some practice as well as while the motor is running you have forward motion. Best to practice the approach and final docking as well, could be a jetty or on a shore slash water edge.

Many ways to do this so practice practice. (Hopefully with no cameras around initially) :lol:

Always a good idea to rope the transom clamp to the boat as well.

I have an easy time with my jetty which was convenient but then later............stray gusts.

All sorted now so as long as beer intake prior is minimal..........easy Gulling aye.

Older you-tube vid shows what I mean...........and another excuse to attach etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG5rot6PVRQ

One day one of my Marlins will be on my larger boat................18HP and fixed drive as well.......pull and go.

It is a lump of a thing with another learning curve.

DSC04824.JPG
DSC04823.JPG
DSC04822.JPG
B[/color]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
polc1410

Post by polc1410 »

Adrian Dale wrote:Always row or paddle out. One good point about this is you won't get out and discover you left the oars in the shed.... Enjoy your gull

AJ
Aye - knowing me I'll get out and discover I forgot the starter cord...
polc1410

Post by polc1410 »

So it sounds like Paddle it is.

Coming ashore is not a major issue for me as I'm going to fit a kill cord. While I realise the risk is low, there is a mental message to get across to the wee man who will be with me that OBs need KCs as he will also be learning to drive a 40-50HP in a couple of years time... That will I hope also mean I have more scope to quickly start and kill the engine as a test ignition before rowing out.

I have been considering if there is a "non-seaman-like" way where I'd attach a towing bridle type configuration across the transom (too short to reach prop), then a loose line tied to the slipway and clipped to the towing bridle. Tide and wind will push it clear of the slip to allow starting. Once started she would sit pulling at the tow line going no-where. Then when ready to depart and throttle reduced to just above idle, I can steer while still tied on - using the rope as a radius and then disconnect the "tow line" at the bridle and chuck it clear of the engine... to retrieve when I come ashore later... (provided the tide was going out not in...). Rowing is for sissies!
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

The line that you are going to chuck clear............what about other boaters and their propellers being tangled while you are away?

You mentioned "Non-seaman-like" so that would confirm it.

Get to practice oars..........definitely not sissy at all.

This is good advice.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

To right B and by the by when the shonetee hits the fan and there is no fix, pulling on 8ft ores for 5 hours in a heavy dingy is not for the faint hearted. be prepared.... although we all know Gulls never break down right!!!

AJ
polc1410

Post by polc1410 »

Was thinking it'd have a caribenar on the end so would sink the bitter end.