REMOTES ON A MODEL 90?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

headdownarseup

REMOTES ON A MODEL 90?

Post by headdownarseup »

I've had this in my head for a while now but not had any time to put things into practice so here goes...

My boat already has steering gear fitted to the port side, easy enough to utilise what's already there i thought, plus while sitting towards the back of the boat the view ahead is a bit restricted as there's a cabin up front.
The bigger problem is with throttle cable and gear cable as the motor i intend using is a FNR model 90 longshaft.
A throttle cable isn't such a big issue as i have a mate that works in a bicycle shop who's willing to make me up a custom cable to my dimensions. (around 10 foot long roughly)

I'm just a bit stuck on which type of gear cable to look out for. Ideally a push/pull cable that's thin enough and bendy enough to go round tight corners and still work?

So what i've come up with is a bracket/plate for mounting 3 cables onto which gets fastened to the top crankcase half using the bolts that are already there in the crankcase. Similar to how a modern outboard would be i guess.

Just a mock up at this stage and trying to work out the final positioning of where the 3 cables will be fitted and still allow enough free movement to let the motor turn left/right and get tilted without binding up anywhere. All 3 cables will have to get routed through to the port bulkhead, (to the right as you look at the pics) quite a tight squeeze going through an S bend just to keep everything neat and tidy and tucked out of the way.

Any help with this, i'm all ears

Jon
Attachments
SDC12224.JPG
SDC12223.JPG
Charles uk

Re: REMOTES ON A MODEL 90?

Post by Charles uk »

Look for a set of Kingfisher remotes.

You might have to use a 416 carb so you can fit an extra throttle slide spring to ensure the spring is strong enough to retract the cable when reducing the throttle.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Have you thought of a hydraulic system? Master and slave cylinder with flexible hose to motor. Just a thought. Or electric push pull two coil solenoid.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Charles
The 90 already has a 416 attached to it, but as you say with the extra long throttle cable that is required, a slightly heavier duty throttle spring might be in order.
The challenge was to build something out of nothing that still works! (where's the fun in using something off the peg)

Steering and throttle cables aren't going to be an issue, it's more the gear selector cable.
If i can find a redundant set of cables from somewhere i might be able to use at least 1 of them.

The real crux of the problem with this gear selector cable is that the cable inner has to be solid enough to be able to push against a lever without folding in half, but still remain flexible enough to bend round corners and move in/out. (exactly like a modern outboard set up would be) Make sense?

Joining the parts together shouldn't be too much trouble. The plate/bracket is merely a platform to mount 3 cables onto to provide the normal function of throttle,steering and fnr gears and still have the necessary movement in the motor.

I had thought about using a car handbrake cable, but as the cable inner is made up of wire strands i think it will just bend in half as soon as any pressure is applied to it. Handbrake cables are more for pulling rather than pushing..

I'll sort something out that will work.
Watch this space as they say

Jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The gear lever was designed for a bowden cable system, or you'll have to fit a push-me pull-you system, will you still be able to tilt the motor?

The alternative is breaking something on a shallow angle launch site.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Yes, that's the problem, trying to find a good enough PUSH/PULL cable that's up to the job and still remain flexible enough for the purpose of tilt angle and operating the gears!

More head scratching coming on i think?
I'll find something----from somewhere

Jon
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Car handbrake cable may do it.

H-A
Mike Killay

Post by Mike Killay »

Morse Teleflex steering cable.
That will push and pull, bends reasonably well.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

You could use a Teleflex cable or wire cables either side with pulleys vintage style or fix the motor and use a rudder or get one of them cheap old auto helms, mount it on the tiller and make it remote with some extra wires and buttons, with no alteration to the motor needed.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Just to bring everybody up to speed with this, the boat already has steering gear fitted to it. Just need to attach the cable to the bracket/plate i'm fabricating.
Hope that's clear!

No, my bigger problem is finding a suitable cable for operating the gear lever (FNR) on the model 90. The end of the lever already has a small hole drilled through the ball end which would be ideal for attaching a cable to it by a small nut and bolt. (easy)

In the meantime i've mocked up a bit more of the plate with the bare bones of a powerhead complete with carb to make sure of the final positioning of 2 out of the 3 cables this set up will need. A bit more trimming of metal was needed to clear the carb to allow access to the float bowl primer and choke flap. The other side of the plate needed a bit removed to allow the full swing of the gear lever fore/aft.
Also the plate itself is going to need a bit of stiffening to the underside as it's still a bit flimsy for my liking. All made from thin gage galvanised sheet so hopefully it wont corrode too quickly. It's going to get a couple of coats of paint when it's finished so it looks tidy.

I'm trying to keep things as simple as i can with this, just like the seagull this little lot will be attached to (hopefully)

Now where did i see those cables..........

jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Hope that's clear!
In future I will keep comments to myself.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Sorry Keith

I've had a hard day at work. (that's my excuse anyway) That, and the lack of caffeine makes me...... Didn't mean to upset

Point taken though, pulleys and cables might be another option. Not much room to mount all this under the gunwhales though hence trying to keep things as simple as possible with stiff (ish) cables. A control box of some description is going to be a bit easier once all the final positioning and lengths of cables has been worked out.

I'll find something...eventually

Jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Do you have outboard wreckers there? They are bound to have a system you can modify.

Weld a nut to the side of the gear change rod. Mount a DC motor with a threaded rod (matched thread to nut) to wherever (torque tube). Motor spins threaded rod through nut lifting or lowering gear change rod as required. Simple contactor and toggle switch to reverse motor. Only two wires! Easy peasy. Waterproof motor would be good or coat in grease. Mind you if it fails you are stuck in gear ha ha.
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Modern electrics :shock: My brother in law used to fly engine powered model planes around the North coast of Jersey but one day, trying to make a turn nothing happened and the last we saw of it was a red dot in the distance flying over the sea heading towards Guernsey some 26 miles away, I wonder if it got there?
Anyway, that day a lesson was learnt on modern electrics.

Jon, why don't you just use a standard outboard gear shift cable or am I missing something?
Attachments
image.jpg
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

That's pretty much the road i'm heading down at the moment Rene.
Utilise an existing set of cables from an outboard set up (although i will only need 1 just to operate the gears) all other controls i.e throttle and steering are already taken care of.

The trick here is to find a cable with an "eyed end" fitting at both ends of the cable which will make things a lot simpler to marry together. (a bit heath robinson maybe but it will work) Just trying to keep things as simple as possible,same as the seagull this lot will get fitted to.

As and when i find the right parts i'll put some pics up of the finished article.
Just doing some last minute "titivating" to the plate/bracket. Making up a stiffening brace to the underside,again using fixing points that are already there on the motor.
The basic idea with all this is it will be a bolt on/bolt off addition to a model 90. minus the tiller of course. Easily reversible back to how things should be as per any "normal" model90. (might take me 20mins or so to do all this but it will work i promise)
It will become much clearer when it's finished.

Jon