Complete Propeller range pictorial database

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

THCL500J8

Re: Complete Propeller range pictorial database

Post by THCL500J8 »

Hi Can you post the image of the background and we can start taking pictures, though mine are already done.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

There is a problem with taking pics of old props they can loose quite a lot from their diameter after a few years of mud & sand abrasion.

I've been trying to locate as many examples of new props as possible so the database pictures show the most accurate examples in terms of size & blade shape.

One of the problems that has raised it's ugly head is that many domestic printers don't print to size, so the template might have to be printed by the local engineering drawing print workshop.

I'm waiting for a friend to send me an autocad drawing that will print exactly to size that all can use it as a template.

I have quite a few new props that are no longer available like Kingfisher, SD & quite a selection of hydrofans, all of which are made of unobtanium.

What we do need is someone who can edit all these pics so they are all the same resolution & size, & has the time & the literature to research the Seagull part number, gear ratios & the motors these props are suitable for.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Thing is if we can get some of the different props up here, then we can refine the list and only use good images for the data base.

Do we know anything about the prop on the 1/2 size engine that was made as a commemorative?
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Struth! Where did that come from? What is the story? Ideal of us the elderly.... :shock:
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I have know idea what it is, I found a very small thing about it where someone was asking about one and posted a pic. that's about it. It would be nice to know if any are still around.(of if they where /are a british seagull)
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Are you sure that's not just a Featherweight sitting next to a Century +.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Another problem has just occurred to me re the database pics, if the prop has it's blade tips a long way from the template, like an SD prop, it will read oversize on the template, try it with one from 3 & 6 foot from the camera measure the diameter from the pics & then check using a small square.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Once the pictures of the props are worked out to reduce any wayward errors and to get all the pictures produced the same.
How do you measure the prop pitch?
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Not trying to derail the thread.

This is where I found that small Seagull
http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/post ... p?th=82655
Are you sure that's not just a Featherweight sitting next to a Century +.
You may be right Charles

Another problem has just occurred to me re the database pics, if the prop has it's blade tips a long way from the template, like an SD prop, it will read oversize on the template, try it with one from 3 & 6 foot from the camera measure the diameter from the pics & then check using a small square.
I did notace that also, Once we have found all of the props and deside which ones we want to use. take a pic at a specified distance.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Charles uk wrote:Are you sure that's not just a Featherweight sitting next to a Century +.
If that was the case they would have the same flywheel.... flywheel looks smaller
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I don't think its any smaller than any other motor, one looks like a CP long shaft, that's what, around 47 1/2" in length, the other is something like an SJM and that's something like 33" long.
I think its just the way the picture has been taken, would seagull cast smaller parts and include a smaller carburettor?
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I tend to agree with you. Century with 13 inch prop, more of an angle of lean for the little forty and a shiny flywheel giving the impression of being smaller besides casting a whole different size motor would be prohibitive and the fact that none of us has got one nor have we literature makes it highly unlikely. Myth busted 8)
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Didn't BS produce a featherweight especially for inflateable boats with a shorter transom that was about 1 or 2 inches shorter than the normal 40-?

I remember seeing one advertised locally in Bristol a couple of years ago that i thought was bit on the short side for a featherweight!
Or have i got my wires crossed again? :shock:

Jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Never heard of one of those. Some models had along shaft option, or standard. That was it I think.

Let's start another myth :shock:
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The only model that I am fairly sure didn't have a long shaft option was the Featherweight & all it's siblings & no extra shorts either.