Export 55 prop

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Grumpy

Export 55 prop

Post by Grumpy »

After accidentally winning ,on an auction site, a 1978 model 55 with clutch and cd ignition, I decided to take a break from he daily grind and drive down to Wellington and pick it up.Also see the hinterland of the Nth IS of NZ and enjoy some warm and summery conditions.
I planned to take about 5 days or so but once I picked the seagull up it was a mad rush to get home to check it out and clean it up.
A round trip of about 1200 kms and the wife was not impressed although she did get excited when we were caught up in some juvenile driving of 6 cars racing up through the high country to Taihape. Back inside 3 days.
Perhaps some might know that area. I must have spent the wifes entire 2016 spending money on petrol but thankfully have enough left for a few quiet drinks.
Anway it turns out the seagull is in v/good condition overall not having been run for 2 years or so and that was after some noted seagull member had serviced it .
I really do like this seagull, the cd ignition, the clutch etc but am not too keen on the looks of the 3 bladed prop, weed cutter, that was apparently standard on this export model.'
I see that the clutchless model 60 has a 3.5 to 1 gearbox and the standard 4 blade prop. 9inch diam
My model 55 has a 2,5 to 1 gearbox and a 3 bladed weed cutter blade, 8 inch diam.
Any good reason I can't put the 4 blade prop on? Or shouldn't.
advice appreciated.
Nudge

Re: Export 55 prop

Post by Nudge »

Where in Auckland are you? Im on the Northshore (Beach Haven)

You need to keep the correct prop to gearbox ratio. with the wrong prop you can overload the engine or over rev it. There are options.

Others with more of an Idea will be able to help better.

I do have a few different props if you would like to try any.

Have a look in this thread (work in progress)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5592

You got a pic of the prop in question?
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

The clutched gearbox is faster and thus has a slightly smaller finer pitch prop. The direct drive model runs slower and thus has a slightly larger, coarser pitch prop.

If you put the direct drive prop onto the clutched engine, it will be too coarse for the engine to drive, and most likely the engine will not Rev when put into gear. It might even stall.

I had this with a FPC I had, the previous owner had put a direct drive FP prop on. Of course it ran fine in a test barrel but as soon as it was on a boat and put into gear a total inability to rev was noted.

So no the props can't be swapped I'm afraid.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Nudge, I'm a westie from Henderson.
Oyster 49 thanks for info.
Will keep the 3 bladed prop and will your info to impress others with my new found knowledge,
Have attached some photos of prop and some of my seagulls and some of my fishing gear which I like to keep tidy so I don't have to scramble through when I'm after a particular bit.
Tidyness is close to godliness.
Theres a free return ticket to anywhere in the world to the first to spot the marston.
Attachments
007.JPG
004.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG
008.JPG
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Ha, proper shed that one..
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I can spot 4 gulls in the first photo! It did take a bit of doing!!!
you going to do the Waikato over the Easter weekend?
"THE KING OF BLING"!
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Is there a Seagull under the bench ?
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Nudge, not doing the Waikato race, do not have a support crew, but have been seriously considering coming down on day 2 to watch the fleet flog through from Rangiriri through to the end. Watching and learning and enjoying.
I would only be entering in the 2.5 12ft class and how do those jokers go with the time limits?
Are they permitted to heave lead weights at passing traffic?
notav8, No under bench seagulls but with my new purchase their are 8 gulls in that shed.
I had cleaned out everything bar the gulls but have slipped back into bad habits lately.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

While I'm here, are clutched seagulls an absolute no go in any speed or distance event?
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

While I'm here, are clutched seagulls an absolute no go in any speed or distance event?
They are all ok, just comes down to the class you enter into.
Nudge, not doing the Waikato race, do not have a support crew, but have been seriously considering coming down on day 2 to watch the fleet flog through from Rangiriri through to the end.
Look out for me then! I will be in a blue 12ft blue boat with a gull on the front and a gull on the rear!! :lol:
Don't know how the 2.5's go for time (it will be my first go at it)
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

A "gull" on the front?
Looks more like a puffin crossed with an undersized diomedia epomophora. Needs a 12 gauge no 4 shot.
Anyway your craft looks good. What forty do you plan to use?
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I will be using a panned century

"THE KING OF BLING"!
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Thank you Nudge, thank you very much.
You put me in a spin last night so much I got up at 1am and the missus caught me rummaging around through all her pots and pans looking for some likely suitable allie frypan. not the best situation. I have spent a lifetime keeping well clear of the kitchen .
Then I started to think about using a s/s sheet I have stuck away but cutting that will be difficult.
Then I spent hours thinking about everything else like using a bing carbie on a forty plus but using a heavier ratio than 25/1, some smooth bottom finish to my aluminium dinghy, do I take rap music tapes for my onboard stereo, until finally these nightmares disappeared and I got some sleep.
Finally, what brand frypan is best?
Even if I never get to do the Waikato I'm going to have a cavitation plate , hopefully using a frypan on at least one of my gulls.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

The brand isn’t an issue.... just make sure to keep the Teflon coating on it. You don’t want water sticking to it! :mrgreen:

Go and have a look in the warehouse get yourself the cheapest thinnest pan you can find.
"THE KING OF BLING"!