You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

Handlebar grips

Post by Oyster 49 »

headdownarseup

Re: Handlebar grips

Post by headdownarseup »

Not fitted to a seagull that i know of...

Would look good on an old schwinn bicycle though. Perhaps with tassles too

Jon
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Blumels grips were fitted to Seagulls at some point in the 60s I think. I recall Charles P mentioning it.
geofflena

Post by geofflena »

Can someone point to a pic of a 'Dover' grip ( is that the right classic type ? ) - as I may well have some, but really do not know what they look like ?
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Here you go. Fitted to SD and post war 102, FV, FVP etc.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (60.98 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Adrian,
Those DOVER grips were very interesting as they are different to the ones that I have seen on early Fs and FVs. I will try to photo an example to show the difference. It is quite probably that two different mouldings were used. Presumably DOVER was the makers name or the trade mark of the company that made them?
Jeremy
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I've not seen them with the Dover logo on.

Is this is right Jeremy.
IMG_0300a.jpg
Or this one.
IMG_fvpa.jpg

This one even.
IMG_0432a.jpg
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Keith,
Your first photo shows what I believe to be the Grip used in 1949, 1950 and 1951 and probably a few years after that. Ones that i have got have "DOVER" ENGLISH MADE on them. They have three axial grooves over most of the length and six shorter grooves over the middle section.
I have photographed a damaged one:-
Dover Grip 2  29 Feb 2016.jpg
Dover Grip 29 Feb 2016.jpg
Your second photo, I think is a slightly later grip, which i have seen on LSs.
I do not know anything about the third one.

There is obviously more than one type of DOVER grip. So to state that a DOVER grip is correct for a certain model is ambiguous, as it would depend on which DOVER grip one is referring to

Adrian,
Are you sure that the type of DOVER grips in your photos were actually fitted to FV/FVPs? I have not seen that style fitted to FV/FVPs.

Jeremy
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The first one is very much the same as your one Jeremy, it may have the Dover logo on the other side, I didn't look, I suspect its original and its fitted to my LS.
The second one, I have seen more of, probably that came next in tiller grips.
The last grip is on an SD.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Keith,
That is interesting, because the last Grip looks very similar to the ones that Adrian has shown. I had to look up the SD production dates which appear to be 1942 to 1946, so it would appear that it was that style of grip used in that period and then possible the '3 long and 6 central short groove' DOVER (ie my photo and your first photo) a bit later, but covering 1949, 50, 51 and possibly 52, 53, 54???
My guess (well slightly more than a guess) is that your second photo covers the period starting very very approx 1955 until when...?
What do you think about these suggestions?

Adrian, Jon and anybody else please agree, disagree or just comment. Collectively we will know. Perhaps when Boyd has collected data on SJM/SJPs we will know the answer on the grip used on 1955 to the 60s. There is plenty of good info to be obtained. It may not be exciting as finding out about Marstons, but interesting to some of us, or maybe quite a lot of us.

Jeremy
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Perhaps when Boyd has collected data on SJM/SJPs we will know the answer on the grip used on 1955 to the 60s.
Jeremy
It seems that from the entries so far (thanks to all who have submitted their data) that up to approx. 1960 dover grips were used on the SJPs, and after the grips changed to the one with the squiggles (for lack of a better word) on it and the rounded collar. I'm sure that with more entries then the dates of changes will become more apparent.

In Keith's post above, the second picture of Dover grips he has posted is the one fitted to my SJP (22051 at 1959).

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Well, thats a surprise. I thought there were two types of dover grips. Early and late. However it seems there were different types of early grips!

Intruiging what comes out of what I thought was simple subject. I have a pair of NOS unused early grips. I'll photo them later to show what I have.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

These are the NOS grips I have in my own stock. Early and late. These are in my treasures box, with a new 8COM plug and a bronze clutch lever!
Attachments
IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Adrian,
I could find a very good home for one of those from the second photograph.
My FV2306 which is undergoing refurbishment/restoration at the moment is gripless. One of those would be perfect for it.
Please let me know if it is available. Could you send me an email or pm.

Jeremy