25%
Between 51 & 100 GBP ($100-$200)
50%

Total votes: 8

AusOB_Collector

Buying Price of SJP/SJM motors

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Hi all

May seem pointless to some but as part of my data collection would like to find out what people are getting these for...

Should also specify that all $ figures are AUD.

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Oyster 49

Re: Buying Price of SJP/SJM motors

Post by Oyster 49 »

The last one I sold (Early SJM) was fully restored and went in the £100 to £150 range. 18 months ago.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Does £0 count as well?
Got my SJP as part of a swap and very much in bits some time ago. Now complete and running but not yet finished.

The SJM (i thought at the time) was expensive for what it is, but having gone right through the motor top to bottom it's now as good as i can make it, save for the prop. (still looking for one of those) and still a work in progress after nearly 5 years of ownership. Lovely little thing though, and from memory possibly made within the same month as Oyster's. (i bet you're kicking yourself now Adrian) I remember seeing it on ebay last year and thought what a shame!
You win some, you lose some.

I must send you some data Boyd when i get 5 mins. :roll:

Jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I have three SJP's, one is an original Villiers motor, the other two are wipac unrestored runners, I tried to get shot of the two a year or so ago and no one wanted them, for free.
Now they are just a pile of parts.
Common as hell motors.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Yes nothing worse then seeing a lovingly restored engine dropped on the floor.. :x
Still trying

Post by Still trying »

Overheard a couple of old locals at the boat ramp the other morning while launching the boat, one to the other “Have you sold off those old motors(name)” reply, “yes wouldn’t believe it I got $900 for the Seagull, hah, they’re only worth a couple of hundred (laugh) reply “good on you mate”. If he was telling the truth to his mate there are people that will pay good dollars for them - model unknown. Shouldn’t listen to other people’s conversations but they were virtually yelling to each other couldn’t be helped.
Cheers
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

It could have been a twin!!
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

SJM's are less common than SJP's for a start, that little gearbox doesn't help as it doesn't seem to last that well, so what you would pay for a very common SJP is nothing like what you would pay for an SJM.
AU & NZ seem to pay two to three times what we pay in the UK, so its all down to what it is and where it is really.
I myself wouldn't want an SJP, even if it was free.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

It seems these little gearboxes have come in for some grilling over time.
The trouble is these smaller gearboxes just dont have the quantity of oil in them to begin with, so after a while of dubious maintenance and forgetting to top up the oil level, the poor thing is virtually shot to bits.
I'm sure we've talked about this in the past just how important it is to check and top up the gear oil. From memory the manuals say every 10 hours or so.
Lets be honest now, how many of us on here have done this EVERY 10 HOURS. (once a season maybe)

Now you can understand why a good featherweight motor fetches a decent price as long as it's been well looked after.
Cute little things and very easy to use even by a novice.

By comparison the Plus gearboxes are more common, so as Keith has pointed out the SJP's are less sought after.

Jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »