Little Forty

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

tambikeboy

Re: Little Forty

Post by tambikeboy »

cobbadog wrote:Wait until they come along to do a 'back flush"!

Speedy recovery.
As mentioned before some oil around the ring.....s :lol:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

:roll: PostSun Jul 10, 2016 10:00pm

AND must be time to pull that cord.....bbrown trout are awake and waiting.... :lol: :lol:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Yes Tam, the plan is to test it next week, I have got a couple of days off, splitting them between testing and trouting :lol:
1965 40 - 1990 55 - 1954 - Little Forty -1986 EF
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Tomorrow it goes in the wheely bin, depending on the outcome it might stay there lol
fit enough to pull the rope and a big bucket to empty her recycling bin when I finish
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Not a good day, it still won't start, I don't seem to have made a difference after stripping it down
I have a good spark, the fuel gets to the carb yet nothing, a lot of head scratching
back to basics now, new plug ordered, I am going to take the carb apart again and see if I have missed anything
Ah well at least she has a rinsed out wheely bin lol
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

If you spray wd40 into the carb throat and she runs a bit you will know that the electrics are ok.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Eezystart or something similar. Throttle open and a small squirt inside the carb)
Very flammable, even with a weak spark, something should happen.

I wonder, when you put the engine block back together, did you use silicone sealer around the base gasket? (not too much i hope) It's possible some of this "goo" might be partially blocking the transfer port into the cylinder, and thus preventing the fuel/oil getting to where its needed to make a bang.

It's close to starting, i know it is.
It's got spark (cos i know the ignition was a good 'un i sent you :P )
It's got fuel into the carb, but is the fuel getting through to the combustion chamber? Check to see if the spark plug is getting wet (smell it if you're not sure)

It can't be that far off from barking into life again.

Jon
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Jon, it has a very very good spark, I know for sure that isn't where the problem lies, I'll try the easystart, I have some of that, I'm pretty sure none of the sealant is blocking the port, I remember you telling me to take care.
I am going to strip down the Carb again and check the throttle cable, I might have that set up wrong, I have a feeling it has to be where the problem is
the reason it's not starting is all down to me :roll:
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Please remember "easy start" contains NO LUBRICATION, so for a few seconds you should have no problems, but no longer!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Spark, compression and fuel in the cylinder and it should run. Also check that the timing is correct. The points should open just before the piston is at TDC. The dimple in the crankcase should locate the magneto backplate correctly, but it's worth a check
Silver Surfer

Post by Silver Surfer »

Sorry for the stupid post, but it worked for me!
When I first got my Little Forty, it hadn't run for a while, and myself and my two (BIG) Sons exhausted ourselves, taking turns trying to get it to start. I had recently discovered this Site, and on reading the "Magnet Charging" Topic, I thought "What have I got to lose?"
My eldest lad went and got his big Battery Screwdriver, found a socket that fitted the flywheel nut, and went for it. It took nearly 30 seconds for it to start at that speed, so I dread to think how long we would have tried to get it going before it went to the tip!!!
Just as an addendum, it's started by the second pull ever since, and I've had lots of hours of chugging fun with it. :D

Worth a try?
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

There is a theory that by spinning the flywheel you are making the points open and close which has the affect of cleaning them and hence a spark but whatever the reason it does seem to work. Remember though that the bearings will be running dry. Would be interesting to know how long it would take to cause damage. Quite a while l would imagine.
I had one start on me while spinning with a drill. It was bedlam for a while.... not recommended. Definately have a second pair of hands if going down this route.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Food for thought.... if one spins the motor over with a drill and the throttle is open and the fuel tap is open wouldn't the fuel mixture still get sucked in and lubricate the bearings?
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Food for thought.... if one spins the motor over with a drill and the throttle is open and the fuel tap is open wouldn't the fuel mixture still get sucked in and lubricate the bearings?
Yes this will suck the fuel and oil threough, Just take the HT lead off so the engine cant start! :shock:
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Some people are experts, some people listen and learn as they go, some people have the knack of knowing how to fix things,
Then there are people who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a Seagull, ME!
When I put it all back together I dIdn't connect the throttle cable correctly so the valve piston was just lying in the chamber body
I bet it starts tomorrow :oops: