What gull does this belong to?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Still trying

What gull does this belong to?

Post by Still trying »

Hi all can you help me identify what year and model this flywheel assembly belongs to? Numbers and numbers are to hard for me. :lol:
Thanks Bob
20160807_182052_resized.jpg
20160807_182008_resized.jpg
20160807_181856_resized.jpg
Collector Inspector

Re: What gull does this belong to?

Post by Collector Inspector »

Absolutely no idea........

Any more numbers?

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Still trying

Post by Still trying »

Hey Collector you play around with other brands of older motors don't you? Can I PM you regarding a part for a little old Merc?
Cheers Bob
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

No one is going to be able to answer your question as your flywheel, falls outside the dates of Jeremy's researches & he's the only person who's looked into this.

It seems that Villiers dated their early flattop flywheels post coolie hats, up to circa the early 1960's, at some point the changed their numbering system to the one your flywheel shows & this persisted right up to the birth of the Wipac models.

Jeremy's excellent Little Model 40 data sheets cover the years, 48 to the mid 50's & shows conclusively that the early Villiers flywheel was dated during this period, Jon's new C should give us a good clue, if this is the ignition it left the factory with it, in 1946 ish.

All the later Villiers flywheels seem to have been stamped with this heavier larger font stamp that doesn't seem to carry any dating information, our lack of answers to your question just illustrates how much further research needs to be done & how valuable the likes of Jeremy's & Hugo's efforts are!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Hi Bob

Forget the flywheel for now, it just has the usual generic numbers. I can't actually see any date on your flywheel at all, which as Charles has mentioned puts it outside of anything dateable. Very confusing at times i know :roll:
For the record, i have seen flywheel dates stamped on the outside edge of the flywheel too (the part that sometimes get polished or painted over). Might be worth a look there. A magnifying glass helps. :P

The baseplate however looks as though it fits somewhere into the early 50's. This is what Jeremy and myself have tried to describe as a "rimless" version.
Fairly easy to identify as these baseplates may have only been in production for a shorter period than most others.
These baseplates were fitted to 102's and 40 series motors from (roughly speaking) 50-52. After this the "half round rimmed" baseplate becomes the norm.

Hope this helps
Jon
Still trying

Post by Still trying »

Hi Jon thanks for the information. In the photos you can see I have a TD complete crankcase and quite a bit of the rest. I would like to try and complete it given the time and money. It all came in sack together with other bits for 40 pluses that I luckily got for $50. Anyhow as it was all together hopefully its a 102 magneto. I know that I might be kidding myself but fingers crossed. Shhh don't let the misses find out about my crazy ideas. :lol:
Cheers Bob
20160808_110915.jpg
20160808_110956.jpg
20160808_110928.jpg
20160808_110934.jpg