CPCL

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

cobbadog

Re: CPCL

Post by cobbadog »

BAS = Business Activity Statement = Too Much Tax Paying.
We live in Coopernook NSW the Hub of the Universe, well ours anyway!
cobbadog

Post by cobbadog »

Had a start up after it sitting in the shed for more than 6 years. I took the carby apart and cleaned some oil out of inside from previous mix I guess. cleaned and gapped the plug put some fresh fuel in the tank and before the rope was fully extended it was running. Was a bit rough for the first 10 minutes as it needed to run on choke or part choke for a while but then it slowly improved. Water was pumping right from go and it is a good flow of water. It took a while to get ever so slightly tempered and it stayed that way for the full test run. I noticed a small amount of water dripping from near the head and barrel. It has a small crack in the outer water jacket and a couple of drips leak out as it is running.

Is this going to be an issue for say a one day trip?

I put it in gear and the water churns up quite a lot even at low revs. It was requiring a bit of choke again while under load at low revs but then appeared to improve with a little time. With the choke fully open and it running and sounding good I increased the revs and it just does not respond as it should and sometimes would not rev much more but with a little choke and off again it would then rev hard and throw water around in the bin.

I noticed with this carby there is a small screw on top of the slide. Is this an adjustment for fuel mixture?
If so which way does what and which way do I turn it and how much?

I have never had this engine on a boat before so don't know what to expect when I do.
Attachments
20170121_143102.jpg
20170121_143119.jpg
cobbadog

Post by cobbadog »

For some reason even though I have compressed the next 2 images they don't want to load.
cobbadog

Post by cobbadog »

Got this one to attach showing the water pump circulation with the engine just above idle. Image shows what looks like a row of drops falling but it is a constant steady flow.
But with both images an ERROR HTTP came up.
this image was 173kb and loaded and the other is 153kb and wont load. Any clues?
Attachments
Pumping water
Pumping water
Last edited by cobbadog on Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
cobbadog

Post by cobbadog »

Maybe a YouTube clip, if this works.

https://youtu.be/FzQvtZMGtqw
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I'm sorry to have to tell you sir, your Seagull has cancer, probably caused by expanding rust in the water jacket.

Your now faced with several choices,

Guaranteed cure (replace cylinder) {100% but expensive}

Operation (remove head & try to clean & repair) {40% survival rate, just from the procedure}

Ignore & live life to the full (after really cleaning fuel system & points) {can't estimate life expectancy, but the details & pics will educate all}
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

When it goes there are plenty of used blocks about.
cobbadog

Post by cobbadog »

Cheers Guys and thanks for the replies. When I first took possession of the engine it was choked with silt deposits and way back then was when I cleaned all that out. I never noticed, not that I looked too hard that it may have been leaking back then. Anyway it is what it is and I will spend a day on the water with other ''Gullers'' then pull the head again and see if it can be welded and try any other kind of repair it welding is not the way to go. Failing that I will track down a replacement block.

Still looking for advise on the Villiers carby tuning if anyone could help, please.