Metal Polishing

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

Re: Metal Polishing

Post by Oyster 49 »

Just right I would say. I remember that engine :P 8)
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Surprisingly I do prefer the "oily rag" look rather than the blinged up ones but nevertheless I am drawn to the idea of polished metal. Could come from that I grew up with an old man that was an officer in the UK RN and his idea of relaxation was to polish every bit of metal in the house including copper pipes in cupboards :oops: . I'm assuming on a frigate etc every pipe etc in the engine room was polished to a high degree from the expression "The Devil/Master makes work for idle Hands". Sounds religious which maybe why the Yanks often go for the bling look.

I think I'll keep an eye out for a single phase 70/80's polishing machine which will match my other workshop machines. My drill press can be pulleyed up to 2000 revs though I wouldn't want to put sideways wear on the lower bush for obvious reasons. Good idea Rick to pick up a spares part spindle/taper. Fortunately I turned my dining room into a workshop (joys of being single) and have a 2.7 metre long and 1 metre wide workbench made from railway sleeper which I can work on from three sides which gives me 6.4 metres of work space. The carpet and curtains are a bit of a fire hazard though :shock:

Off to Bunnings for a snag sanger and some emery cloth and wet n dry. I hear Bunnings are now in the UK.... what do you think of them?

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/arts-and ... 179d0a.htm

Yep, the coppertops lend themselves to spit and polish me thinks...
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Find yourself a 1.5 hp motor with the shaft protruding 100mm from each end, you should be able to find the right size tail ends on Ebay , then build yourself a heavy pedestal stand.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Hugz,

I used the very same kit following the sanding techniques described by Rick to 'bling' my Anzani Pilot.

Lot's of hard work and don't know that I'd want to repeat unless I'm restoring another outboard with badly scratched or damaged castings.

Regards,
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Oh wow. I would be happy with that finish Spiro.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

That's a very well finished engine. Nice 8)

I tend to go down the route of mechanically correct and tidy looking, rather than bling. I like originality too. My motor bike I have just finished has gone down the route.
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Now let's see the bike china..
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Not that i'm knocking the "bling look" but it seems there are quite a few of us from here that like an authentic (but not overly done) seagull or any outboard for that matter. What determines an original finish can be a sensitive subject to some, as long as its tastefully done.

As Oyster's mentioned, mechanically correct (as far as possible) polished to an acceptable level that one doesn't need sunglasses :shock:
and definitely NO SILVER SPRAY PAINT :shock:(how many times have we seen this before YUK) unless of course it was an original finish applied by the manufacturer. As Keith said, if it was painted before then repaint, if it was polished before then repolish.
Restoration or refurbishment, call it what you like, it's basically trying to bring back something old to as close to what some would call "as near as new".
I think that would do for most of us really.

BTW Keith, i remember that particular SD that you outbid me on. :lol: It turned out alright in the end didn't it. Just about right i'd say. :P

Jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

BTW Keith, i remember that particular SD that you outbid me on. :lol: It turned out alright in the end didn't it. Just about right i'd say. :P
Was that the one.
I only have two, at the moment. :P

I totally agree Jon, as close to original if possible, once you use them, it doesn't take very long for a motor to look like any other used motor in the shed.

If you want to polish it all up, so be it, it wouldn't stay like that too long, if it was used, but standing next to the telly, why not, not for me though, I don't own a telly. :roll:
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Believe it or not, I prefer the original factory look also. Problem for me is most of the vintage outboards I find have extensive salt water and/or have been badly mistreated. So to make good, I often find that I have to do things that may surpass the original finish

That said, I have seen plenty of original adverts for vintage outboards (Seagulls, Riptides etc) and albeit that these adverts are generally black and white, they exhibit a high level of reflection / flash from many parts which implies at least a semi-bling finish.

The Pilot in my above post was to be my first and only vintage outboard .... before I caught the bug. Plan was to store in my study and wifey would only allow that if it was made to look real nice and didn't smell.

Regards,
Spiro
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

That's half the trouble with knowing exactly when to stop and say enough is enough.
Any outboard motor, doesn't matter what it is, will only be truly "original" once in it's lifetime.Usually when it's considerably newer.
After a few decades of use and perhaps several different owners, things take a very different turn. Damage,repairs and neglect all get in the way.
As you say Spiro, saltwater corrosion can be a sod to get rid of properly, and often the only real way is to polish far above the designed finish, hence some of the "blingy" parts we see today.
I bet that if you purposely forgot to re-polish your hard work it would dull down quite nicely to a more (choose my words carefully here) seasoned look.

Think yourself lucky Spiro. A study and somewhere warm and dry to show off your handy work. I'm jealous...
I have to put up with a cramped 10x8 shed and if i'm lucky (when she's not looking) sneak a few up into the attic for safe keeping, hidden underneath an old bed sheet. :lol:

Jon
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

You're right John, I shouldn't complain.

Just need to get my act together and have a good clean out. Both garage and shed are full of junk that's unlikely to ever be needed or used again. A clean out will give me room to move and maybe a few more outboards.

PS: I suspect a lot of that high bling stuff we see in the US is plated, not polished in the traditional sense.

Regards,
Spiro
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Yes! Have a polisher now. Won it over a game of pool. Might go back and play for a lathe. Was a tad more exciting in the seventies... :oops:
polisher.JPG
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

I am pretty handy with a pool stick and need a few more tools. Might be up your way soon aye!
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Doubles it is then. Finding a mark with the right tools is the hard bit 8)