WW2 picture.

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Keith.P

Re: WW2 picture.

Post by Keith.P »

Hugo, they don't put the boats side be side, they are spread out and they don't have a rear transom to mount a motor, just the sides.

AusAnzani.
Titled, WW2 picture, as that is what it is, looking at evidence of the SD in use in the second world war, not seen one as yet.
The picture is of a pontoon boat with a transom fitted to it, the wartime SD's had them, made of angle iron and heavy, made pretty much only to be used on this boat, so after the war most of the transom mounts got scrapped, pretty much useless for anything else, so they don't get seen that often anymore.
It takes time to work out what is right or wrong on a motor and we are still working out the 102's, :oops: PM me or ask someone and we will have a look at the motor and tell you what is right or wrong.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Thanks for that Keith, much appreciated.

Regards
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Spiro and others.

This was my main task with trying to obtain data from whoever has an SD/P or any post war 102.
By comparing different sets of data it might just be possible to work out what the original parts were for a specific motor type and year.
I'm doing fairly well with most of it, but as always there's some blank spaces that still need filling in along the way. This is where you guys come into this. With your data i can then compare one against a few others and see if there's any specific changes to any particular parts. A bit of a jigsaw puzzle i know, but i'm getting there.

Transom brackets aside, what we tend to see nowadays on a fairly typical SD is the aftermath of various changes. Some of which are out of necessity rather than anything else. Case in point the rather heavy looking angle iron brackets. Keith pointed this out a bit earlier. Try using an SD on your average boat today with a side mount bracket and things turn pretty ugly very quickly.Hence the vast amount of SD's on record at the moment have all manner of later type brackets on them. Unless we happen to stumble across an SD that's still inside its original box (which we have recently) then who knows what's been messed with on some of the motors we see advertised all over.

I would dearly love to show you some pics of what the Type B No.1 & 2 brackets look like, but i'm not entirely sure how much trouble i'd be in afterwards.
The paperwork i have here very clearly states CROWN COPYRIGHT RESERVED, so i'm very reluctant to take a scan of these and post on here. So unless someone else has a picture elsewhere of the real thing, the best we can do for now is describe them as best we can. I've got a photograph somewhere of one of these, but do you think i can find it! Bear with me and i'll look a bit deeper on another computer for it :oops:

In time i will try to show some basic specs in picture form for specific years for all the post war 102's. This might help for some of you.
Wartime motors seem to be fairly straight forward with hardly any changes to speak of. Much easier to work out. It's all the stuff that happens after WW2 is where it becomes a mess, but even so there's still some obvious patterns that they all seem to follow.

Just like Keith, i also spend a lot of time searching the net for any traces of hard evidence. Trouble is the quality of the photographs and old films is not that great. Fuzzy, a lot of times out of focus when you try to enlarge the original picture, and this is what i've set my eldest son as a project during a few lunch breaks with some of his mates. To see if he can sharpen up the footage showing what we think might be an SD hard at work ferrying supplies in a small boat, albeit in 1962!
But, it's still not actual wartime footage. Close, but not close enough.
So we keep looking...

Jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

AusAnzani wrote:You guys may as well be talking Chinese as I have absolutely no idea what any of you are on about.
Regards,
S
Have a read of this thread Spiro. SD. World War 2 motor from 1942 to 1946. You had a look at one recently and passed it over..... Nooooooo

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5673&start=15

Anything with the coolie/JM magneto is sought after. Bit larger magneto with a domed top.
JM works.JPG
The Curlew were made in limited numbers so they are worth having. From main site:
Curlew.PNG
They come in silver to.

The first little forties are worth having FV/FVP. The tiller handle sticks out from the crankcase with no pivot capability
FVP.JPG
Note the spiro fuel line.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Where did this picture come from? AJ posted it.
Attachments
sd bracket.PNG
sd bracket.PNG (282.95 KiB) Viewed 866 times
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

That photo has also been around for years. I think H-A found it in the first place.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

H-A's photo is about as close as we can get for now of an SD on a FBE.
The bracket as you can see is a bulky thing, probably quite heavy too and nothing like the later brackets we're used to seeing on other motors.
I'm going to call that bracket Type "B" No 1.

No 2 version appears to have a deeper V section as viewed from the front.

Hope that helps Hugo understand some of the differences between them.

(still looking for some of my photos)

Jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

H-A's photo is about as close as we can get for now of an SD on a FBE.
It is a SD on a FBE :roll:
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I think you'll find that was a picture from a "wartime" hand book that CharlesP posted many years, I vaguely remember the long discussions we had about it, as we didn't believe it was an SD & that the balance of probability was that it was an SN, built between 40 & 42.

Only 2 of that series have ever resurfaced, look harder!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
pat777

Post by pat777 »

Probably not a Seagull, and if not does anyone recognise it? A great photo nonetheless.

http://ww2today.com/3-december-1944-bri ... stood-down
"Home Guards in the Edinburgh area organised a motor boat patrol for use on the canals and
waterways of the district in order to protect local factories and buildings. One of the motor boats
with a Lewis gun mounted in the bows."

Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Is that a BMB?

That Lewis gunner is going to be hard of hearing after the fellow with the Mk4 has fired a few mags!

Great Picture!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Great picture 8) I think it is a an early BRitannia Light twin. Hard to tell.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I think it is a 303 Lee Enfield though it looks like a short shaft.
Jan

Post by Jan »

20160624_102909[1].jpg
I spotted this FBE last year in Antwerp.

Jan
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

How are you Jan? Nice find that. I read somewhere that those boats are quite rare now.