WW2 picture.

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Ferrier120

Re: WW2 picture.

Post by Ferrier120 »

I don't think the outboard is a BMB Britannia as the filler cap is not in the centre and the spark plugs look as though they are pointing slightly upwards. The other thing I notice is that the flywheel looks quite thin, so was wondering if this could be an Evinrude/Elto with battery ignition.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Good point Ferrier!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

A couple of interesting Newspaper adverts just found.

First represents the first advert I've found comprising text as well as picture of a Seagull 102, and is dated Dec 12 1940. Quality isn't the best but you can clearly see the references to the British Navy and the R.A.F. 4hp Standard and Clutched models, with 23" or 29" shafts.

The second refers to the clearance sale of 89 surplus 'New' Army Service Model 102's and is dated December 1946 ........... in your general area Hugz !!!!!

I know these are not quite what this thread calls for, but its interesting and exciting stuff none the less.

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The first picture has a ON style transom bracket, rudder pintle on the water pump housing, central bayonet fuel cap, big rubber grip on tiller arm, that's all Marston.

I can't see any evidence of a clutch so it's probably an OP!

But I don't recognise the projection on the drive tube just above the water pump housing.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

These old adverts and articles are great. Quite interesting that in late 1940 Marston models were being advertised in export markets. That said the war in SE Asia had not kicked off, so perhaps the Australian dealer had a couple left in stock that he was keen to shift. Things were fairly desperate in the UK at that point, Battle of Britain had just finished and the blitz was well underway.

"Used by the Navy and RAF!" Great bit of advertising 8)
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Many of Seagulls own adds had earlier artwork, in those days artwork was done by hand, not on a computer so cost money!

Most of you didn't spot the error, so the chances of a new customer noticing are very remote, so perhaps this pic was not very reprehensive of what was being sold.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Great find Spiro. Any chance you can pop them on the below thread for future reference please? I was convinced the Marston never made it downunder. Will have to rethink things.

viewtopic.php?t=5781
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Done mate, sorry for the delay.

Regards,
S
pat777

Instead of "Where's Wally", Where's the Seagull Outboard?

Post by pat777 »

Thanks for all the feedback on the previous outboard, I've looked through quite a few of these pontoon bridge building photographs now, and I have to say there seems to be a lot of wooden oars in use! Still keep looking though, bound to turn something up one of these days. Anyone recognise the motorbike in the photo?
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

We know outboards were used in this application also, certainly by the American anyway. Some barges are said to have been with up to three outboards, the two outers set at an angle and pointing out and the centre in normal position. There are several references on the AOMCI forums, nothing Seagull or Marston related though.

Regards,
S
secretagentmole

Re: Instead of "Where's Wally", Where's the Seagull Outboard?

Post by secretagentmole »

pat777 wrote:Image

Thanks for all the feedback on the previous outboard, I've looked through quite a few of these pontoon bridge building photographs now, and I have to say there seems to be a lot of wooden oars in use! Still keep looking though, bound to turn something up one of these days. Anyone recognise the motorbike in the photo?
Royal Enfield
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Enf ... .931945.29

As an aside do you know that Enfields were the first motorcycle ever fitted with ABS as part of Ministry of Transport trials and that the MD of Enfield decided that it was not worth pursuing as nobody would be interested in a bike with ABS?
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

The bigger of the 2 bridges is designed for tanks and trucks, however the smaller one set back a little is made from FBE (Folding boat equipment) these were used for various things, and took a seagull on the side mount. We just need those elusive photos!
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

That picture of the SD with army transom is one of the ones in my 'ministry of supply 1944' booklet.

Since that one has been posted would it be ok for me to post pics of the photos in my booklet?
I had a close look through the book and there is nothing about copyright.

Jacob
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

It's your booklet china don't think you'll get surrounded with tanks I'm sure i learned somewhere copy rights are expelled after 50yrs but I'm sure someone will tell me different...anyway you live in scotland the land of do as you please. :twisted:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Yes, I'm sure there is an office full of Whitehall mandarins somewhere trawling the internet checking that 70 year old engine manuals are not being shared :P

It will be good to see what you have 8)