Used Head Gaskets

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

fleetingcontact
Used Head Gaskets

Post by fleetingcontact »

Has anyone ever re-used a head gasket successfully? I've scrubbed up a 40 gasket and it looks almost like new (there are impressions on it from the water jacket ports) but apart from that...

Just mucking about with some less than perfect parts that might form a complete motor...
Hugz

Re: Used Head Gaskets

Post by Hugz »

Yes, we all anneal them before reuse depending on their condition.
fleetingcontact

Annealing huh? Does this make them expand any?

Hugz, read your comments re the 102 EFNR idea. I've shelved it for the moment to concentrate on a standard(ish) 102 and a fixed drive 40 but to answer your questions: didn't measure the diameter of the aperture for the water delivery pipe, but it accepts a standard pipe nicely. The flange you asked about is TRN 24 009 'reverse lock sleeve' (see pages 34 & 35 of the parts book). I'm trying to imagine a method of accurately marking and cutting a bevel into a 102 exhaust tube but not come up with anything yet. Calculating the angle will be a bit difficult...It's easier when the angle is 90 degrees - just mark the line and cut using an angle grinder with a jubilee clip as a 'fence'...
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Yes, it puffs it up a bit but more importantly it softens the copper to meld into the correct shape when tensioned down.

Play with some cradboard tube to make up a pattern for cutting and resoldering exhaust tube. A drop saw with a disc. Sounds like too much work though. A 6mm discrepancy would hardly be discernable.
fleetingcontact

Sure, 6mm isn't much but that was a very rough measurement. Maybe the best way is a bit of trial and error with some rough as a********* aluminium tube. Godsdammit I threw one away a while ago. Anyway hold that thought because it's just an idea until I've finished the other (far easier) engines by which time I may well feel I've had enough of the damn things!