Which One?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

fleetingcontact
Which One?

Post by fleetingcontact »

While going over a few things, I noticed a mildly intriguing detail...

I'd assumed up till now that the correct bracket for a model 75 was the one described as the 'E.F.N.R Detachable Clamp' as shown in the spares book (p.60).

This page states it is for models 110 & 90. However some advertising indicates otherwise...thus...

75 large.jpg

On a recent perusal of some other info, I noticed this, which is an illustration from the 'Owner's Handbook' for the 45, 55, 75, 80, and 90...thus...

7.jpg

So, my question is, does anybody have any opinions on which is correct? Both? Perhaps it relates to year of manufacture...
Keith.P

Re: Which One?

Post by Keith.P »

I'm no expert, The bronze transom is the early transom and the aluminium one is later, maybe the bronze transom wasn't strong enough for the 5hp 90, or maybe it was cheaper to make and just got used on later motors.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Keith both of those pics are from the late 80's early 90's, & are the same bracket, times were getting harder, the FNR gearbox went out of production sometime around then, but you might as well use the brackets you've still got sitting on the shelf in the stores.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
fleetingcontact

So, Charles, the bracket on the first illustration of a model 75 is the same as the model 75 shown in the User Guide pic?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

No sorry, I only looked a the bottom pic in the line drawings!
Arbian

Post by Arbian »

And as per the top brochure shot, these late model 75 also had the rubber sleeve on the drive tube to connect with the FNR type bracket even though they had no reverse. These seem to do a good job of accelerating corrosion in behind them!!!!
fleetingcontact

An excellent point that the FNR bracket was specifically designed for a different model which also supports Charles' assertion that Seagull fitted this part as a result of dwindling resources...

The implication seems to be that Seagull were not above producing bitsas! I feel much better about some of my own efforts now. :lol:
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Not really an assertion, the other Charles & I had numerous chats with quite a few of the Seagull management team, Managing Director, Production Director, Finance Director, Production Manager during our overview research's & were given quite a lot of paperwork that they had at home after it closed.

In fact I've spoken to Gordon Blair & 3 members of his team, Doug Hele & Mike Martin as well during this research.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Doug Hele, he was one talented engineer!
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The man responsible for the 170 series.