Reverse Electrolosis

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Hugz

Reverse Electrolosis

Post by Hugz »

I thought I might give this a whirl. I have nickel bayonet fuel caps that I wish to take back to brass. I think I have it pretty well figured out but I would like to have recommendations for the best conductive solution. Anyone have experience in this? I have some damaged cap to experiment with. Thanks.
NaughtyBits

Re: Reverse Electrolosis

Post by NaughtyBits »

Hugz,

Yes, I did this a year or two ago, with good results for the exact same (nickel plated bayonet caps).

I only used the one solution, so I can't speak to which works best, just what worked for me. I'll have a look to see if I can find the links I used as a guide.

I remember feeling like I needed to agitate the solution & cap, going over it with a small cheap artists brush. No idea if that helped or was completely unnecessary, though (I just have a hard time leaving things alone)...!
Last edited by NaughtyBits on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NaughtyBits

Post by NaughtyBits »

Hugo,

Had this info saved, so I'm pretty sure this is what I must have tried:

"You need a 6volt battery or battery charger or DC Power supply
A plastic bowl
Old battery acid (tipped out of spent car batteries is perfect)
A strip of lead sheet
Cake makers Glycerine (Glycerol)

WEAR RUBBER GLOVES AND WEAR SAFETY GLASSES

Connect the lead to the NEGATIVE cathode of the 6 volt supply using a piece of stainless wire (welding wire etc)
and put the lead into the battery acid in the bowl (add about 1 fluid ounce of glycerine per quart of acid. This helps protect the brass surface)

Attach the (nickel plated brass part) to the POSITIVE anode of the supply and immerse a section into the acid..DO NOT TOUCH THE LEAD AS IT WILL CAUSE A SHORT
The nickel will start to bubble and vanish into solution, as soon as it has gone move to the next section of the hoop and go round until it is all stripped. Keep the acid stirred as much as you can

Wash off the acid and polish with good metal polish"

I just dipped the cap straight in & kept brushing it, keeping a close eye to avoid any damage to the brass. Good luck.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Good info. Thanks. Seems to be a combination of acid treatment and electrolosis. How long did it take? I'll keep an eye out for a dead battery. I'll use a 12volt supply as l have that available.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

No there's a dilemma for you!

If you don't drain the battery of it's acid, you can use it as your 12V supply. If you do drain the acid from it, you no longer have a 12V supply.

So which is it going to be Hugo ???????

May I suggest 2 batteries are needed. One intact and one for it's acid. 8)
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Cheeky bugger!!
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Hugz wrote:Cheeky bugger!!
I do have a battery charger.
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

May I suggest 2 batteries are needed. One intact and one for it's acid. 8)

I'd say remove acid from battery then fill up battery with new purified water that leaves original acid for working with =1 battery only but then again I'm scottish :evil:

Purified water=boil a kettle have a cuppa wait for it to cool down. jobs a good yin. Not exactly right but good enough for the old capri.... :lol:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow