Have I got the longest one?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

Re: Have I got the longest one?

Post by Oyster 49 »

The clutch mechanism is shown on the drawing, including the rod. However there is no clutch lever shown. Take a closer look..
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Here blown up a bit. I'd suggest that is the line drawing of an early model AC, or perhaps a C.
Attachments
1946 line drawing 102 gearbox.png
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

This is obviously a sliced drawing of a 102, so most, if not all the peripherals, like water pipes, fuel lines, tiller and so on are not included, if all that was added you wouldn't see much.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Interesting that the run in instructions call for 1 1/4 pints of oil for one gallon of petroleum for the first 5 hours. That's 6.4 to one.... smokin!

I believe the early AC and C box is the same as the later SD ones. You will also note the cotton wheel bush, if I'm nor mistaken, pt # 1370. Would we be wise to think all straight out exhaust models had the bush?
pinion bush.JPG
Ozzmotorz

Post by Ozzmotorz »

yes, form dated 5 / 3 / 46.
Must be a common date, as there seems to be more than one, with that date
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The diagram seem to be a part of the 102 paperwork, so I suspect that it is pretty common.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

What an interesting thread.

Nice to see that advice from the factory about starting your motor in freezing conditions. Interesting that it applies to all the models from the OJ right through to the LS etc., That's not a document I've seen before.

I have seen that sectional drawing before, I'm sure it's either a C or an AC, to be honest I'm not sure what the difference is. It's a shame it doesn't include a transom bracket. For me the single most interesting thing about it is the initials of the man who drew it - W S P, for William Styles Pinniger, who was in it from the very start in Bristol.

Good find Ozzmotorz, and thanks for bringing it to our attention.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Yes interesting indeed..

I've also spent some time looking to see if there is any difference between an SD box and one from a C or an AC but can't find anything yet. I have a few of these older 102's now and dismantled every one of them for a closer inspection. As Hugz has mentioned i think it wise to consider any motor with a straight out back pump housing will more than likely have a cotton reel bush as per his pictures. I can mostly confirm this with what i have in my own personal collection.
The line drawing seems like a fairly common thing and i have one myself which came with a small collection of other older paperwork.

I wonder if Ozzmotorz has managed to get back to the shed to find this motor's original bracket. That would be something worth a second look as there's not very many of these brackets left now.

Happy boxing day all :P

Jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

It is ironic that the cold start instructions were found in Queensland, northern Australia, not known for freezing conditions :lol:
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I don't understand the problem with this 102 drawing, is it because it should have a clutch or it shouldn't have a clutch.
The drawing shows a clutched gearbox, with the internal spring needed for a clutched gearbox, but not needed for a non-clutched box, not showing a clutch lever is not important, what is important is what it is showing.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I don’t think there is a problem with this drawing...
Ozzmotorz

Post by Ozzmotorz »

The previous owner is away on holiday for another week or so, so will have to be patient, about looking for the transom bracket.
Here is the backside, of the freezing conditions leaflet.
I’m glad you find it interesting, as I thought it was probably a common piece.
Attachments
9DC35FBE-FD09-4532-AB7D-B3AE1F7003A6.jpeg
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Cool outboard and cool thread.

This SD was too far from me so did the next best thing, I'm sure Mark would do the same.

I understand info has been provided to Hugo for the register (good) but I'm sure other here (myself included) would be interested to know whether the ministry stamp appears on the gearbox and what the JM number on the flywheel is. If you could share when you get a chance that would be great.

So what have we identified with regards to drive and exhaust tube lengths? The dimensions seem to be close to those advised by Hugo, but this outboard appears to have been modified or repaired. So what's the verdict, as I'm still not clear on that?

Please also also how you go with those other brackets.

Excited

Regards
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I suspect somebody has extended the drive shaft and exhaust, in order to fit the engine on a boat with a particularly deep transom. It does not look like it was like that originally.

My SD is the opposite, to make it easier to use, I have converted it to standard shaft length.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I reckon this is the correct length (depending on where and what you're measuring)
I suspect that in one of the pictures the fact that there's lots of missing chrome on the exhaust tube might be confusing the issue leading everyone to believe that this has been extended somehow. I don't think it has been, but i would like to know what that "thingamewatsit" is on the drive tube?
Could it be something that's hiding a repair, or is it just something that's covering the 2 lower holes in the drive tube for some reason?

Go right back to the start of this thread and blow up the picture showing the gearbox and skeg.
I spy with my little eye a broad arrow stamp, so yes Spiro it is a wartime stamp on there.

Hugo, what is your data showing with regards to tillers? Brass or steel, scripted or non scripted and the tiller length?

Jon